LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lr3 instrument cluster issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 09:38 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Cluster is supposed to arrive next week. It's clearly the cluster causing this guys problem. Dis connecting and connecting or tapping on the back of the cluster will allow the vehicle to start after a no start situation. Also the hazards and headlights do weird things.

He bought a used cluster and once the car starts plugs that in to stop the lights from going crazy. Sounds like he paid full retail for the cluster, I never called to find out the cost. If you are near Southern California I can do the software/sync for you.

Originally Posted by Smhube00
Have you already done this work ? Just wondering whether that fix the problem?

Dealer is telling me that the material cost is $947.

The following 2 users liked this post by abran:
bikercrze1 (12-18-2015), jafir (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 01:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Try checking battery wiring loom? Some models had bad major wiring from battery to computer, ECU's...

Old 12-18-2015, 08:18 AM
8th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am glad you posted this here there is not a whole lot of informative posts on this issue. I am having the same issues with my 2006 Range Rover Sport here is the link to my original post with the details about what first happened a few weeks ago.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...-faults-76581/

I have had this intermittent issue which I thought I narrowed down to a corroded Integrated Transfer Case Module as others reported similar problems from water getting in behind the battery box. I removed it and cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner and it started and ran great for a week so I thought I had fixed the problem. This morning it started doing the same things will not start, flashes several faults, locks shifter in Park. As funny as this sounds The only issue I had not looked into is the Instrument panel and sure enough with the key turned to the start position I lightly tapped the dashboard and heard a click in the instrument panel and the truck started right up. I have been scouring the internet for ways to pin point the actual cause of the malfunctions but at this point it seems pretty clear that not only did I have a corroded Transfer case module, but my Instrument panel is also bad. Obviously some would be scared into thinking the faults are real which in some cases might be so, but when mine starts it runs perfectly fine so that rules out a bad transfer case. Any information posted here I am sure will help others who have this problem. My case in point remains though it is obvious this is due to a manufacturer error and I was literally stuck blocking traffic unable to get the truck into neutral to even get it off the road. This could have been a serious safety issue on a busy highway so hopefully they will recall this bad equipment before someone gets hurt.

The following users liked this post:
ancientau (07-07-2022)
Old 12-18-2015, 09:17 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by abran
Cluster is supposed to arrive next week. It's clearly the cluster causing this guys problem. Dis connecting and connecting or tapping on the back of the cluster will allow the vehicle to start after a no start situation. Also the hazards and headlights do weird things.

He bought a used cluster and once the car starts plugs that in to stop the lights from going crazy. Sounds like he paid full retail for the cluster, I never called to find out the cost. If you are near Southern California I can do the software/sync for you.

abran, Where would I find the plug on my 2006 RRS instrument panel? before I go tearing my dash apart to install a new one I want to try to disconnect is as you stated to be sure it is in fact where the problem is?

Old 12-18-2015, 04:28 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is an update

i sent my instrument cluster to BBA remanufacutr. they remanufacture and fix alot of car control modules.

they did a bench test on the cluster and it was working properly

now i am back to square one.

anybody has any ideas.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:04 PM
8th Gear

I have been researching this issue for a month now and like my post said above only a few people have posted possible fixes. Here are the other things I was told to inspect that can cause intermittent starting problems and faults to come up on the 2005-2009 RRS models.

1) Transfer Case Control Module corroded "mine was corroded it is located behind the battery on my 2006"
2) Bad parking brake switch in center console
3) Brake pedal safety sensor bad "shifter solenoid does not engage"
4) Rear brake light bulb ground faulty "easy to see if your brake lights are not functional"
5) water dripping down from leaky sunroof drains onto fuse panel located behind the glove box.

This is a lot to look at but after searching "intermittent starting problems" it seems people have issues with each of those areas.

The following users liked this post:
ancientau (07-07-2022)
Old 12-18-2015, 08:21 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by bikercrze1
abran, Where would I find the plug on my 2006 RRS instrument panel? before I go tearing my dash apart to install a new one I want to try to disconnect is as you stated to be sure it is in fact where the problem is?
Once you remove it it its on the back. Pretty straight forward if I remember correctly.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:34 AM
Overlanding

Thanks /bikercrze1

I am going to recheck ever item you have on your list today

One questions, where can I get the bulbs for the tea breaks. Can I get them from local autozone

Old 12-22-2015, 04:43 PM
Overlanding

I checked everything except for the parking break switch
It it work when I pres it and it releases too

Do I have to do any thing else to check it

How do I get it out ?

Old 12-23-2015, 07:15 PM
Overlanding

Abran , did you change the cluster ? Did it actually worked ?

Quick Reply: Lr3 instrument cluster issues