LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 rear driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 06:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 720 Likes on 605 Posts

Britpart and AllMakes both sell three shafts. They have their own "cheap" one with c-clips (china made). They also both supply GKN or Hard Spicer (UK made). And they both also sell one boxed with LR labels as an LR part. Britpart does not own AllMakes and vice versa, they are both owned by a holding group. So AllMakes supplies the Hardy Spicer whereas BritPart supplied GKN to keep branding of what is the same shaft separate. Cause as we know GKN is the parent company to Hardy Spicer.

So to send an AllMakes cheap version when what is shown is the GKN/Spicer variant under the BritPart name is just simply incorrect to do. That would be like me ordering a new Defender and ending up with Daewoo Winstrom just because both brands are held by Tata motors.

And now I have to ask why Lucky8 is keeping a portion of my refund. Which then quickly sent, nice, but its short about $40. I assume for return shipping..... but I was send the wrong part.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

From my perspective, I would not be overly harsh on Lucky8 for bad intent. They are first and foremost Rover enthusiasts and they are doing a ton of innovative things for the newer trucks that no one else is doing. They are active in the community and nice folks. (It's been a long time, but met a few of them at a MAR years ago when I lived in VA).

What they are not, is the most savvy e-commerce auto parts sellers to ever grace the internet. Putting some information in this thread on the distinguishing characteristics of the different offerings in the descriptions along with narrative to help the customer make a choice would have helped this situation, as well as of course keeping product photos in sync on the Amazon side. This area is where retailers like FCP Euro are head of the pack, with clear designations between Genuine/OEM/OE/aftermarket with absolute clarity and even cross-linking the options from the product pages. For people that like to carefully research and select parts that's super valuable. Lucky8 is a much smaller shop than FCP so of course I do not expect them to have as mature of an e-commerce platform, but I have seen this before on their site with no amplifying information or even photos of the part on offer. I'm sure a phone call would have also made things clear, but many (including me) prefer to simply shop through the web.

Anyway, my 2c. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Lucky8.

The following users liked this post:
M32H32IS (02-06-2023)
Old 11-14-2019, 07:35 PM
Camel Trophy

I don't disagree and dont want a bash thread on these guys. I did not even ask them to step in here. I did not even want to buy from them because of prior experiences but I was going out on a limb. I bought the shaft through Amazon to have a level of protection and they still shorted my refund. I agree, they need to improve their web sales and I believe they are working on a new main site. But things need to jive better. I mean if pics are shown of item and its claimed to be x-brand but what is sent is not the same... there is an issue. Do mistakes happen? Sure, but I can only deal with so many mistakes before I start to get rather annoyed. I have a ProSpeed rack and light bar to order this spring, they will be shipped from the UK instead at a greater expense to me unless there is another US seller (dont think there is). Had I got the correct shaft, I would have given lucky another chance with those items and maybe my attitude would change for good.

Anyway.... I have another shaft coming. From the UK. GKN, $360 shipped (shipping was $80) and the supplier (not seller) is... drumroll... BritPart. Should be here this coming Monday.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

....I don't remember the OEM part (from the Dealer Parts Dept) being all that expensive. Why not just do that?

Old 11-14-2019, 08:55 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by houm_wa
....I don't remember the OEM part (from the Dealer Parts Dept) being all that expensive. Why not just do that?
2 reasons. One, I dont know what you consider all that expensive, but most prices I have seen are about $600/700 dealer price. My local was $700 when I called. Second, I always drill down to see who made the original part because often other companies make the part and the car company is more of an assembler than anything. This is often true for sensors, suspension, etc. And buying stuff without the fancy LR stickers can save a ton while the quality is identical.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:00 PM
Camel Trophy

So the delta is $340. I guess that isn't chump change....but for peace of mind I tend to just go OEM. My time is valuable too, as is yours.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:06 PM
Camel Trophy

Well my money is valuable to me lol If I can get the exact same thing for less I will since I dont have any desire to collect stickers from OEM boxes. If I have no choice then I go OEM, such as the case is with the coolant crossover tube on the 4.4. And its not like buying the LR packaged item gives a better warranty over the original manufacturer.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Default Agreed...

"exact same" being the key....

Old 11-15-2019, 09:44 AM
Camel Trophy

Getting more annoyed, I did not even remove the shaft from the box or plastic.... and more of this “Britpart owns AllMakes” BS.... Britpart DOES NOT own AllMakes, a holding company owns both. Guess I need to escalate this with Amazon and my card holder.

Good afternoon, Britpart owns Allmakes so you did receive a Britpart part. After inspecting the part it does look like what we have advertised in the pictures. There was a 15% restocking fee for this item as we must be clean it and repackage it to sell as a new.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:45 PM
Camel Trophy

Driveshaft came today from the UK. This time I have the correct one. Supplied by Britpart, made by GKN. $360 shipped all they way over in under a week. I also contacted Britpart to see if they own Allmakes. They do not. In fact while I found out the same holding company owned both when I was searching, I did not know this happened recently on November 1st of this year. So again, Britpart does not own Allmakes and vice versa, but they are owned by the same holding company as of the 1st of November 2019.

Dear Shawn,

As of the 1st November 2019, Border Holdings (UK) Ltd has strengthened its worldwide position by purchasing the assets of Allmakes Ltd, Abingdon. As a result of this acquisition, a new Company has been created - Allmakes PR2 4x4 Ltd. Allmakes PR2 4x4 Ltd will continue to operate with same management team and staff as before.

There is a possibility that the specific product that you purchased may have originated from the same source, however, that would unlikely be due to the recent acquisition, as both Companies continue to be run independently.

Just out of curiosity, may I also kindly ask from which of our dealers you purchase your Land Rover products from ? and are you pleased with the service and quality of parts that they supply ?

Kind regards

Phil Davies

Phil Davies
Export Sales Manager

Images of what I received today:

Note the thin weld and crimped in u-joint.

Quick Reply: LR3 rear driveshaft