LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Transmission Fluid Flush/Change warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 04:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Tmoney
I have a 2007 LR3 with 91,000 miles I just completed the transmission oil service my transmission is now slipping and ruined this was not happening before the service I highly recommend not doing this.

haveQUOTE=ghtaylor;407326]I have a 2005 LR3 HSE with approx. 60,000 miles.

After reading the many posts about flushing and changing the transmission fluid I asked my LR dealer if I should do this.

I was told that they don't recommend it and they say that LR does not either.

They informed me that doing this can cause the transmission to prematurely fail.

They said that the particulates in the transmission that gather over time from normal wear and tear actually assist the clutches to engage properly and that the computer adapts to the accumulated particulates.

By removing these the clutches will not engage as well causing slippage and gear change difficulties.

Are there any seasoned LR Technicians ( Dave ) that can offer me some advice/guidance?

I was about to have this done now I am afraid to.
[/QUOTE]

It's a little hard to decipher what you're saying as the quotes are all over the place. Are you saying that your transmission is worse having had the fluid changed? If so, it's not the fluid change that's the problem; you need to look elsewhere for the cause of slipping, etc. A fluid change will significantly improve the shifting of a healthy transmission and the fluid change should be done maybe every 60-80k but as has been said above, it won't fix one with problems. I have changed mine again recently using the dead easy 'flush at the cooler' method and do it every 2 years or so. My LR3 has 100k on it and this one isn't used off road. Because it's babied and doesn't really do anything except act as a packhorse for camping and kayaking I haven't changed the pan to the new two part filter and pan (as shown on the excellent Atlantic British 'how to').

@Dakota - I hadn't heard about the alternative to LG6, which I've always used on my LR3s and Discovery 3s. It is expensive at about $20 a liter so I'll look at this other fluid you mention. Thank you for that.

Old 08-30-2020, 04:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default learn not to burn your arms

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
buyer - Its been established that Motorcraft Mercon SP XT-6-QSP is the same spec as LG6. 12 quarts is about $90 USD. And since a full change is not usually possible with DIY, you usually use just 6 to 6.5 quarts.

14TMoney - It actually sounds like you are short on fluid. You should have added about 6 quarts. I just did my transmission this year and just a couple weeks ago I did my neighbors. No issues with either. Mine had about 150,000 miles and his has 180,000. The procedure is to replace the filter/pan/etc. Whatever work needs to be done. Then open the fill plug on the passenger side with the vehicle on very level ground. Then you add about 2.5/3 quarts slowly until it drops out. Then you start it up to bring it up to temp while adding another 3 quarts. It should start to flow out slowly until you get a drop every couple seconds or so. With the vehicle still running, of course, you reinstall the fill plug.
I can believe the Ford Mercon oil is the same as the ZF oil given that the trannys are the same. The pricing is interesting however. The Jag branded ZF oil that LR sells is cheaper than the LR branded ZF oil that LR sells. The ZF oil is less than either of them and it sounds like the Ford oil is even cheaper. I wonder which, Exxon or Shell, that make for all.

The short on fluid makes sense and as you say, filling the tranny is a procedure. The LR techs think they are filling a rear end on a Chev pickup, and hence the real world reality that mostly no LR dealer can successfully change the oil on a ZF. The way I found my "East Side guy" is that I discovered where my LR dealer subbed out the oil changes to.

Yes, pan, integral filter as well as new oil; also you burn your arms on the exhaust until you learn the trick.