LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Key Dealer only?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 09:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default What is the video showing?

I presume the video is showing that a Land Rover key blank can be correctly cut if I presume one already has a good key?

The newly cut key will then I presume operate the mechanical door lock and also rotate the ignition cylinder so that the engine starter would turn the engine over.

I kind of gathered that the engine would not start however as the electronics within the key fob were not or could not be programmed.

Just the same, properly field cutting a Land Rover key blank is an achievement in itself.

If I have understood the above correctly, how then does one get the electronics to be programmed so the engine will start?

Old 09-26-2016, 08:18 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am on mobile and searching is not the easiest so I hate to ask a question I can find in the forums. But, can the IIDGap tool with Bluetooth program a new fob or is a Faultmate needed? I am down to my last key and the buttons are shot. I will have to order a new one from the dealer but if I can save on programming that would be great.

As an aside, I did try that Ebay vendor in the UK that refurbishes the fobs and buttons. All went well until he shipped it back. It is lost forever and nobody knows where it is. So, I am out 40 bucks for a $600 key.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:34 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator996
I am on mobile and searching is not the easiest so I hate to ask a question I can find in the forums. But, can the IIDGap tool with Bluetooth program a new fob or is a Faultmate needed? I am down to my last key and the buttons are shot. I will have to order a new one from the dealer but if I can save on programming that would be great.

As an aside, I did try that Ebay vendor in the UK that refurbishes the fobs and buttons. All went well until he shipped it back. It is lost forever and nobody knows where it is. So, I am out 40 bucks for a $600 key.
I have new remotes with a new case and uncut key blade for $100. You will have to get a locksmith to use a "sidewinder" key cutting machine($25-$30 in so cal) or have a locksmith use the fancy scan tool that gives a code and cuts from the code($40-$50 in so cal).

Old 09-26-2016, 07:52 PM
Mudding

So let's say that my local smith can cut the blade, can I program it with the iidgap tool if he cannot code it?

Old 09-26-2016, 08:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default appears BlackBox can program the fob

I just checked the BlackBox restricted forum site under key programming and it looks like one can program a diesel D3 key fob using the Nanocom Evolution software that is now available. The post was dated August of this year.

If BlackBox can do it, I would think the GAP tool would beable to as well, or will be shortly. Sometimes BlackBox is ahead in the programming of specific features, sometimes, GAP. I guess it depends upon what they think the market wants.

Just programmed a cheapy EBay key as my first job with my evolution. All went fine and the original key still worked without relearning it. Hope it continues to work as only noticed this thread afterwards

Key programming was quick and painless. Top job BBS !

Nanocom one serial- Nanocom evolution

2006 Disco 3 Tdv6 HSE

Old 09-26-2016, 08:27 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator996
So let's say that my local smith can cut the blade, can I program it with the iidgap tool if he cannot code it?
I have not done it myself, but another forum member that I know personally has. So yes, gap tool can program keys.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:53 PM
Mudding

Thanks abran. Let me get with my locksmith and I will get back with ya on the blanks.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is good news.Will see if I can get my key cut.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:16 PM
Mudding

My small town locksmith can cut my new ones for 20.00 each. I just ordered a gap tool to do the programming. I will report back next week on the progress.

So, dealer wanted 587.00 per key. Got two keys from abran for 200 and a new gap with Bluetooth for 475. I should be ahead of the game money wise.

The following users liked this post:
bbyer (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 07:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I just had Abran get me one new key for the LR3 and one new key for the Range Rover Sport. He then programmed the keys to each of the trucks. While he was there, he recalibrated the suspension on the Range Rover Sport, it was sitting slightly lower on the right side. He also ran a scan on the right adaptive headlight on the RRS. I was very impressed. If you are in the So Cal area, give him a call, you will be glad that you did. Phil

Quick Reply: New Key Dealer only?