LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Suspension Compressor Question

Old 03-20-2018, 04:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 708 Likes on 596 Posts

I am surprised a replacement compressor only lasted that long. Do you have suspension leaks? And how do you know for sure its out and no some other issue? Just seems odd. At 110k miles on my 2006, it looks original but still going strong. I am getting a rebuild kit shortly to make sure its keep going.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:32 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
I am surprised a replacement compressor only lasted that long. Do you have suspension leaks? And how do you know for sure its out and no some other issue? Just seems odd. At 110k miles on my 2006, it looks original but still going strong. I am getting a rebuild kit shortly to make sure its keep going.
I took my LR3 to the dealer and they ran it on their computer. Came up as multiple suspension faults over a period of time and they said the "only" fix was a new compressor. When they quoted $2,000.00 for the job, I did a little research and discovered I could buy a new replacement compressor for between $400.00 and $700.00 (with the mean being around $550.00). I can do the work, and if I don't want to, there is a shop nearby that I trust, who will do the install for under $150.00. Geez, I knew the LR dealer was a ripoff, but $2000.00?????? I should not be surprised. I needed a $30.00 coolant sensor about six months ago, and the bill was over $500 installed.....

Old 03-22-2018, 10:06 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 LR3 HSE.
I had a new Arnott compressor installed by my indie shop, and I have concerns about the new position. I understand that this is a superior product, but the application of it is questionable.
It now sits obviously lower on the frame rail, where the mounting bolts sit exposed to road hazards. In addition, all the wires/hoses leading to it are exposed at the front of the mounting tray. In short, it looks it a failure waiting to happen at the worst moment!
I talked to one of the techs (not a designer/engineer ) at the company, and he stated that he was concerned about this years ago when it first came out. But, he said that they have had very few warranty claims on this! Is it possible that most Rover owners don't really care about stuff like this? Maybe their vehicles are used only for trips to the grocery stores??? He invited me to send input to him, which he'll pass on to his engineers.
Given that the Rover is supposed to be an iconic off-road vehicle, I looked at this installation and thought: "What the hell is wrong with this picture?!?! It looks like a one-off shade-tree solution!!"

Has anyone else dealt with this? Is there a better solution???
Maybe I have to look into buying sliders or fabricating a new frame-mounted enclosure?

Old 03-22-2018, 10:36 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Check prospeed. They have a compressor guard.

Also the Arnott sucks because there is no cover.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:25 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Abran,

I am disappointed with the Arnott because of the final positioning and the lack of a cover. wish I had known, but my understanding at the time was that it was a quality compressor. I checked the 'Prospeed' site that you recommended, but couldn't find anything close to compressor covers. Are there more than one 'Prospeed' companies??

Old 03-25-2018, 01:35 PM
4wd Low

From the NAPA website:

"The Arnott ARN P2807
Dunlop Air Suspension Compressor For The Land Rover LR3, LR4 And Range Rover Sport...Is Designed To Replace The OE Compressor And Fits Within The OE Protective Cover. The Compressor Comes With New Airline Fittings, Electrical Connections, And A New Compressor Relay. The Installation Of This Compressor Does Not Require Reprograming Of The ECU."

Old 03-25-2018, 05:20 PM
Baja

It doesn’t fit.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:23 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by djatkinson
Abran,

I am disappointed with the Arnott because of the final positioning and the lack of a cover. wish I had known, but my understanding at the time was that it was a quality compressor. I checked the 'Prospeed' site that you recommended, but couldn't find anything close to compressor covers. Are there more than one 'Prospeed' companies??

Land Rover Discovery compressor guard : ProSpeed

The following users liked this post:
djatkinson (03-26-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 06:04 PM
Baja

The arnott is an AMK Compressor with a steel bracket and no cover. So yes it is quality, but they didn’t pony up for a mold to make the cover. You can buy the cover separately, Lucky8 can get them.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:00 AM
4wd Low

So if the Arnott P2807 is an AMK and not a Hitachi, does that mean the ECU has to be reprogrammed after installation? The description of this particular model by NAPA indicates it does not (of course NAPA also says it fits the OE case). Also, the stamping on the case says it is actually built by Dunlop. I always understood the Dunlop to be a Hitachi clone. Boy, am I confused...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Suspension Compressor Question