LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise from under glove box

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from under glove box

I am experiencing what I have seen described as a "fart" sound from under the glove box. Happens when the A/C is cycled on and off. Have heard that it may be a vent flap (which would probably make such a noise), but no one has suggested a fix?

Old 10-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, no idea on a fix, but to help narrow down the location of the sound, pop your glovebox down and see if you can locate the sound when cycling the A/C. Behind the glovebox is the cabin air filter and the cabin air filter intake and fan (pulling outside air, in). I haven't checked the manual yet to see how the climate control works, but I'm guessing the LR will recirculate cabin air when the A/C is on to get the air ice cold and to be more efficient (instead of constantly having to cool hot air from the environment). Perhaps a damper is actuated to close of the ambient air intake and the pivot pin is binding? I'll look in the manual tomorrow to see if there's more/better information I can share.

And if you don't know how to drop the glove box, see my oil change thread (which has some pics of what's behind the glovebox).

Old 10-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Known fault so to speak.

It will take me a few days to track down some links that tell you how to solve the problem.

It is something to do with lubricating some little shaft that is up behind the upper glove box. The trick is getting to the shaft as you have to remove the upper glove box liner. I will have to find that thread as well.

In the meantime, you can try a few searches on the various forums using search works such as +AC +fart or +glovebox +fart which are as good as any.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:04 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your replays. I have dropped the lower glovebox and the sound seems to be coming from the fan motor (just below the squirrel cage fan). I guess my next step is to drop the fan and see what happens.
If you find the info on pulling the upper glovebox liner, please let me know. The sound is sure like a door opening and closing.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default HVAC air mixer flap lever noise

This is a link to a 4 page thread with some good jpg’s on page 3 showing the easy solution – remove the upper glove box and work from the top rather than trying to do the fix from under.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Farting

Attached Thumbnails Noise from under glove box-lr3-upper-glove-box-removal.jpg