LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM E-Diff Install in 2006 LR3 4.4 SE

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2023, 03:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

It is locking independently of the center. Depending on the placement of the truck on the ice, sometimes the center locked first and then the rear, but other times the rear would lock up first. On my setup (2006) before this modification the rear diff symbol would never lock up for me and always stayed green, though of course the NAV was a retrofit and it's possible the screen is from a later year LR3.

Old 12-23-2023, 04:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Just make sure it locks independent of the center diff. Because by default a system with no rear locker will still show the lock. But it will lock, unlock both at the same time. Basically lying about there being a rear locking diff. This was changed with the LR4. But with a rear locker, you will instead see only the rear locker lock and the center may or may not. But it is no longer showing both locking at the same time.
Is that true of all LR3s with the 4x4 display? My '06 (no locker) shows the green padlock but never shows it locking.

Old 12-24-2023, 07:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

Maybe there was an update, but I am not aware. As you can see below, there are cases where folks indicate that both icons will lock/unlock together with a missing e-diff. And this is the experience I had in two other LR3s with no rear e-diff, one being an 08 and the other maybe an 05 (I forget). There is a way to look up software versions, so it would be interesting to find out for sure. Only second Gen D4s was the icon corrected where there was no lock icon at all with a missing rear locker. But early D4s behaved like D3s, showing the lock icon - but at least it behaved correctly never showing locked when there was no e-diff.

----
The lockers are activated electronically, so just engaging low range doesn't necessarily activate anything. Keep an eye on the padlock icons and, as you drive off road, you will see them locking (padlock icon turns red) and unlocking on their own based on what the TR and diff modules "decide". If you have rear lockers, the rear padlock may or may not turn red (lock) along the center one. If you don't, both padlock icons always turn red, or green, at the same exact time.
----

Hello, I recently bought an 06 LR3 HSE. When I was off roading in rock crawling mode I saw the two lock signs on the center and rear diffs when I went up a hill the center diff and rear locked. I am confused because When I look under my truck the diff doesn't have the locking motor on the rear of the diff or at least I don't see it so does my rover have a locking diff?
----
Not always the case at least here in the US. Some without the E-Diff have the padlock show locking sometimes just to taunt them about not having it.

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (12-24-2023)
Old 12-25-2023, 12:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 211 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Maybe there was an update, but I am not aware. As you can see below, there are cases where folks indicate that both icons will lock/unlock together with a missing e-diff. And this is the experience I had in two other LR3s with no rear e-diff, one being an 08 and the other maybe an 05 (I forget). There is a way to look up software versions, so it would be interesting to find out for sure. Only second Gen D4s was the icon corrected where there was no lock icon at all with a missing rear locker. But early D4s behaved like D3s, showing the lock icon - but at least it behaved correctly never showing locked when there was no e-diff.

----
The lockers are activated electronically, so just engaging low range doesn't necessarily activate anything. Keep an eye on the padlock icons and, as you drive off road, you will see them locking (padlock icon turns red) and unlocking on their own based on what the TR and diff modules "decide". If you have rear lockers, the rear padlock may or may not turn red (lock) along the center one. If you don't, both padlock icons always turn red, or green, at the same exact time.
----

Hello, I recently bought an 06 LR3 HSE. When I was off roading in rock crawling mode I saw the two lock signs on the center and rear diffs when I went up a hill the center diff and rear locked. I am confused because When I look under my truck the diff doesn't have the locking motor on the rear of the diff or at least I don't see it so does my rover have a locking diff?
----
Not always the case at least here in the US. Some without the E-Diff have the padlock show locking sometimes just to taunt them about not having it.
2014 is when the update came i was told so anything earlier had the symbol regardless if e-diff equipped or not.

Old 12-25-2023, 01:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

Correct. But we are taking about a software update that would have been applied to the LR3 that specifically changed the rear e-diff lock icon/symbol. Because there are cases were the two lock icons certainly change at the same time, showing both locked/unlocked even though there is no rear locking diff. But then some say that while the rear locking icon is always shown, it will never show as locked when the e-diff is not installed. And that does not seem to be year specific, so it could be either nav display hardware differences and or software. We know the Nav units have several versions and they dont all act the same per say.

Anyway, maybe something for another topic/poll, etc. Makes me want to take out some more LR3s and video the behavior.