LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P2096 Lean on Bank 1

Old 12-04-2018, 07:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just a quick update on another change I made and the outcome:

The oil filler neck had been loose indicating the o-ring was getting old. Since it COULD leak air I went ahead and got a new filler and o-ring. Installed, reset codes, and, as usual, on the second start the CEL comes back on after warm up and the truck goes into closed loop. I didn't think it would fix it but it did need to be replaced.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:20 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

If you have GAP, order a PCM update and reset adaptions.

Cant hurt, doesn’t cost, and checks off one more box on the list.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:27 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AtlantaViking
Just a quick update on another change I made and the outcome:

The oil filler neck had been loose indicating the o-ring was getting old. Since it COULD leak air I went ahead and got a new filler and o-ring. Installed, reset codes, and, as usual, on the second start the CEL comes back on after warm up and the truck goes into closed loop. I didn't think it would fix it but it did need to be replaced.
did the same this weekend, didn’t buy one but sealed with an extra o ring I had laying around garage, no luck.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:17 PM
Drifting

So I was doing some trolling around engine trying to find source of air leak and I hear hissing noise in PCV area, I have tried to seal pcv with thicker O-ring but I still hear air hissing somewhere. I’m going to try to swap plastic PCV hoses with my buddy’s LR, I think there might possibly be a leak in one of them.
ATLANTA VIKING do you hear any air hissing around your PCV valve by any chance?

Old 12-11-2018, 10:09 AM
Drifting

Ordering new valve gaskets, intake manifold gaskets.
will keep updating

Old 12-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by vetalbig
So I was doing some trolling around engine trying to find source of air leak and I hear hissing noise in PCV area, I have tried to seal pcv with thicker O-ring but I still hear air hissing somewhere. I’m going to try to swap plastic PCV hoses with my buddy’s LR, I think there might possibly be a leak in one of them.
ATLANTA VIKING do you hear any air hissing around your PCV valve by any chance?
I'll check this weekend. I've been on the road for work so haven't worked on the Rover - I'll post up as soon as I do.

Since you are ordering new gaskets for the top end did nothing come up when you took a closer look at the PCV area?

Old 12-19-2018, 12:56 PM
Drifting

What I thought was unusual hissing noise coming from PCV area ended up being normal after hearing same noise on my friends car. We did swap pcv and plastic hose attached to it and of course that didn’t fix the code. New intake manifold gaskets should be in tomorrow so I will post how that goes as soon as I get them replaced. I will do intake manifold first before valve covers. I believe leaking valve cover gasket would set p0771 p0774 type code.
Now what definitely stands out is STFT for bank one
they are normal at idle but at x1500 rpm they stay around +12% +- 3% when bank two is @ anywhere 5-10% less than that. That makes me believe there is an extra air coming in

Old 12-21-2018, 09:05 AM
Three Wheeling

I'm keeping my eyes on this one. The funny thing about the STFT higher for Bank 1 at 1500 vs. idle is that at idle, with the butterfly closed, the highest vacuum should exist (at least by my understanding). I would have thought you would have seen the STFT difference at idle then because it would have been drawing the leaking air more. Then once you cracked the throttle and opened up the butterfly, the vacuum differential would have been reduced and the leaking air would drop.

This code is an absolute bitch!

Old 12-22-2018, 08:29 AM
Drifting

Atlanta Viking I find that interesting too.
Yesterday I did intake manifold gaskets, the old gasket seemed just fine but I went ahead and replaced them anyways. Now there is something that I found that looked suspicious is the carbon built up around valves. I have to admit I never put premium in this truck, always ran regular. There is a very nice post on P2096 that I have taken a screen shot of and will try to upload so you can read it and see what you think. Anyways same code with new intake manifold gaskets. But check out this post:

Old 12-22-2018, 08:30 AM
Drifting

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P2096 Lean on Bank 1