LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake and suspension faults...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Bodsy' Brake Bible

This is not exactly the answer you are looking for but you may not be familiar with as below. I bring it to your attention as when you start messing about with the front end, the BBB has a lot of good tips and pictures.

Worn out front wheel bearings are not uncommon; changing them out is pretty much per Ford procedures, and no fun either. Most guys end up getting a shop with Ford experience to change them.

The squeaking could be just a pebble trapped between a brake pad and the disc - usually the rock grinds up and the noise eventually disappears.

Link on disco3 to Bodsy’s Brake Bible

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4184

Download the latest version; v1.6a. As of when I last looked, there has been over 10,600 views/downloads of his free 36 page pdf.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Bbyer

I edited my post and took out the comment about the squeaking, but...

I can hear it as the car is idling in the drive, not moving. It sounds like a tensioner pulley or bearing in the front of the engine compartment. I had the AC compressor replaced two months ago - it went out and ate the drive belt. I should have asked them to replace the tensioner, then.

I'll have to open up the hood and see if I can isolate the squeak. It definitely from the front of the engine compartment, though.

I used the Brake Bible when I replaced the f/r brakes and rotors. Very handy.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default tenensers and idler bearing both

Yes, either tensioner and or idler bearing requiring replacement is also common. Many change them all out - about three as once you tear things apart, you may as well do all of them.

I think on the 4.4L V8 there are two tensioners, (Primary tensioner assembly and Secondary tensioner assembly), and one Deflection pulley. All three have bearings that go.

There are threads out there somewhere where the guys change out just the bearings rather than purchase all new stuff. Below is one of them.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/updated-tensioner-pulley-pics-60169/