LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possibly not the usual LR3 tailgate issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 07:49 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possibly not the usual LR3 tailgate issue?

When we first got the LR3 (about 18 months now) the rear upper tailgate occasionally wouldn't completely unlatch, it would just open maybe half an inch, about 5-10mm, it took a few tries before it would open. I sprayed Silicon grease in the mechanism and it was ok, until now.

Now it just moves that small amount (and it won't latch closed, I get the "Tail gate open" and the remote locking doesn't lock) - I don't think its the normal broken cable from the actuator problem (or its it?)

Any suggestions please??

Old 09-15-2023, 08:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds like a new actuator may be called for. I forget the details, but there is a Ford part from something like an Escape (?) that I believe is identical to the LR part.

Old 09-15-2023, 12:07 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

My philosophy has always been to change the cable and the actuator while in there. No sense in doing the job twice.

The following users liked this post:
DakotaTravler (09-15-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 01:39 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One bad news and one good news

First the bad.
Next comes the painstaking opening from the inside (you have views on YT). After releasing the actuator, check with a multimeter whether the voltage in the power cable is correct both during rest and when you give it a command. If so, check the actuator jerk. It's probably time for a new actuator.
You're probably wondering, what's the good news?

Ford Fiesta 2006. actuator same as original
It's good that you don't have to buy a new original actuator, but an identical one from the Ford Fiesta. That's how I solved the problem. If you are interested, let's go further.

Old 10-29-2023, 11:12 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, a few weeks later and I bit the bullet and, having watched quite a few YouTube videos, decided I could do this!! Bottom line is it worked. I also discovered that at some point the Actuator had already been replaced.

I did a few variations, never had the time to shoot a video but took some photos.

Firstly, yes, I tried grabbing the wire with a pair of long nose pliers but it just wouldn't move enough to release the tailgate. So plan B, I managed to attach a large, long Tie-wrap (Cable tie) long enough to comfortably pull and release the tailgate, I recommend this technique!

Using a large and very long Cable tie makes pulling the loose wire a lot easier

When it came to fixing the wire back in place, I used small Cable Ties again, these are made in Japan and seem very strong, I'm confident they will last.

I used 3 cable ties arranged like this

This seemed to be very strong

I also removed the latch mechanism and greased it with Silicon grease, so it moves quite freely and easily, less stress on the Actuator.

I put everything back together and its all good, I would recommend anyone to give this a go, rather than pay the dealer. My only drawback is the workspace is very cramped, maybe I have big hands but the metal edge really hurt my hand!

Ouch!