LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems after Steering Gear change

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 11:41 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems after Steering Gear change

Have used this forum so much for my D2. Now posting for the first time about my LR3.
I had slight left to right movement in the right front wheel. When jacked up you could move it freely about an inch. You could hear a thunking sound with every bump or quick stop that caused the front tires to toe in. So I ordered a remanufactured Steering Gear (Rack and Pinion to most people) and changed this out according to the workshop manual. There was one instruction I didn't understand (211-02 steering gear removal 44L) to "Disconnect the steering gear electrical connector." The picture doesn't seem to correspond to anything on my steering gear and I don't think the steering gear has any electrical connections.
Anyway, after filling and bleeding the lines and starting things back up I got lots of warning lights. I did the calibration steering from lock to lock but I still had warnings about brakes, HDC, and leveling. I noticed I knocked the brake wear indicator loose so I reconnected that but still have the warnings.
Is that "electrical connector" missing? Where is that? Is there a way to reset the leveling without the Gap tool or something else I need to do?

Old 08-19-2016, 11:12 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turns out most of the problems was the steering wheel being two full rotations different than when I disconnected the steering gear. I guess I could have fixed this if I knew myself how much and which way to go but with the autocraft tool at the Indy LR mechanic he was able to recalibrate the steering wheel and it works fine after that.
That electrical connector must not be part of this steering gear. It's nowhere on the old or new one. Maybe TD5 or V6.
The brake wear indicator I replaced which was pretty cheap.
If I had to do it over I guess you should keep the wheels strait and keep the steering wheel from rotating too far so you don't get it a full revolution off.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:07 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Thanks for sharing the resolution!

Old 08-20-2016, 03:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The big downside to being off a rotation(or two) is that the clockspring is now located improperly, this may cause SRS issue down the road.

As to the connector, no, LR3s don't have one. It would be for the variable assist, however on this model it is accomplished by a torsion bar internal to the rack, which effectively reacts to wheel grip, more grip when moving slow, and more assist is given.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:43 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

The question now, is did the steering gear fix your problem? Your symptoms sound more like control arm bushings.