LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on raising the engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 04:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Question on raising the engine

So I'm in the process of doing some standard maintenance -- at 221,000 miles I'm replacing all the coolant hoses (not too bad a job, though the one hose does appear to require removal of the intake manifold), and I'm thinking about replacing the transmission cooler lines while I've got all the coolant hoses removed.

I've done this job on the X350 Jaguar but I have yet to replace cooler lines on an LR3 (though I have replaced the transmission pan and filter which is.... not a fun job). There are not a lot of write-ups on the cooler line replacement on the forums, and most helpful thread I've found talks about the replacement potentially being easier if either the front driveshaft is removed or the engine is raised. On the Jaguar X350 platform raising the engine is pretty easy (and in fact Jaguar even provided designated 'lifting points' on the XJ's implementation of the AJV8 engine, though personally I've found lifting from the oil pan much faster).

The engine mounts for the LR3 appear to be the reverse of what I'm used to on the Jaguar platform, in that to free the engine from the mount there's a single nut to remove from the top (accessible once the engine bay heat shields near the valve covers are removed) as opposed to the Jaguars which require removing the engine mount nut from below.

My question for the forum is whether anyone can confirm from experience that to lift up the left side of the engine -- say an inch, I don't need a lot of movement -- all I need to do is pull the valve cover heat shields on both sides, remove the top engine mount nut on the left side and loosen the engine mount nut on the right, then gently lift from the oil sump?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-02-2024, 06:39 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I’ve done them without unbolting the engine. I did remove the driveshaft to provide some wiggle room though.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

The intake does not have to come off for that one coolant hose. Extreme patience and some string can be used to slip a new one on. I have done it a few times now using a method I devised during a bit of an emergency repair. But basically removed the old (easy) and to install the new one you secure a string around it in such a way that you have two string on each side to pull on. Then you apply coolant for lubricant and sorta pull the hose on. Then secure clamp.

As for raising, not sure what you mean. All the cooling lines are pretty easy to replace if not in awkward spots. Pulling the coolant fan will be the biggest help. There are no cooling lines by the front driveshaft, so not even sure what that is about. At least not on the 4.4 V8.

Old 01-02-2024, 07:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks to you both. The coolant hoses I'm set on, I've got the most of the old hoses out, removed the fan and shroud, pulled the expansion tank with it's not-floating-anymore float switch. Dakota, your approach with the strings requires removing the throttle body I presume? I do like the idea of leaving the fuel rails alone.

The raising of the engine would just be for accessing the transmission oil cooler pipes, which I am thinking of replacing.

I just took off the driver's side heat shield, and I am not seeing a straight shot to the mount (steering linkage is in the way), so I think if I replace the transmission hard pipes, pulling the front driveshaft may be the easiest approach.