LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduced Performance Following Alternator/Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 03:50 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduced Performance Following Alternator/Battery Replacement

Hello all!

Last week I replaced the alternator on my 2006 LR3 SE V8 as it completely died on me. Following the successful replacement of the alternator (remanufactured Denso unit) I realized the battery was shot and replaced it as well.

The vehicle starts up as it should and drives without much issue for a bit. I then begin to notice that the battery light turns on and off randomly while driving.

In addition to the previous issue I have noticed that it seems to take a good bit more effort for the vehicle to accelerate from a dead stop. Once I get to my cruising speed the vehicle performs as it should and at normal RPM.

I have not seen any fault or error codes following the replacement other than the red battery light.

I have seen other posts saying that it could be a faulty replacement alternator, but have not heard anyone mention intermittent reduced performance or battery light.

Does anyone have any insight to the cause of this issue. I feel it is most likely a bad alternator, but want to make sure its not something even more simple that I have not encountered on other forums.

Thank you for you assistance in advance!

Old 07-28-2016, 11:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I am not familiar with the Denso units. I would've used an OE part in that case. I use non-OE for obvious things: tires, battery, light bulbs (although that one is not-so-obvious) and for the acceleration thing, try driving it really hard for a while and see if your transmission doesn't adapt. On the flip side you could try resetting the adaptations and seeing if that doesn't help.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:25 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Did you change out your belt or just the alternator? I would think, if the belt is slipping, it would throw the battery light and possibly limit engine performance for safety?

Is there any chance, where it's a reman'd unit, that the pulley is a different dia. than what came off? If it was smaller and your ran the limit on your tensioner, it would tend to slip.

Just some random thoughts...