LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Hitachi compressor with AMK

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 08:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Elbaltinore
Hello,

So, I can just buy the Hitachi version and have the mechanic install and calibrate? Just wondering why are folks online talking about buying the AMK version rather than the Hitachi version? Any major difference? Thanks a lot fir all the information.
No need to replace the whole compressor, just buy a service kit that includes the alloy end cap.

The following 2 users liked this post by loanrangie:
douglastic (08-03-2021), Elbaltinore (08-02-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 10:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by loanrangie
No need to replace the whole compressor, just buy a service kit that includes the alloy end cap.
THIS should be your first route . . .
If your old compressor was working fine, a service kit with new desiccant, cap, o-rings, spring, etc should get you going for a lot less $

The following users liked this post:
Elbaltinore (08-12-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 05:07 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an AMK compressor that I bought but I could not figure out how it could be installed in a vehicle that came with the hitachi pump. They are very different designs. You can see the difference here……
Firstly, the electrical connectors are different. The Hitachi has a power plug and a control pump with 6 wires ( 2 for control valve, 2 for temp sensor and 2 for god-only knows). The AMK has just the 2 pins for the power and 2 for the valve. You’d have to come up with your own harness as they plugs are different and the car would be upset by having unused sensors. Second, the hose connectors are different. A hose conversion kit may be available but if you just buy a pump, good luck. Third, the bracket that holds the hitachi pump under the car won’t hold the AMK as they are a different size and shape with bolt holes in different places. And finally, the AMK wont fit the sound deadening box. I think the cars that used them had them in the trunk at that point. So maybe parent of the solution is to move the compressor to the trunk.
I have heard many say the AMK is better but has anyone actually tried to swap a hitachi to an AMK? It seems there is an opinion that you can just swap from one to the other. If so, how and is the solution to throw money at it?

Old 08-12-2021, 07:04 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Tranceatlantic
I have an AMK compressor that I bought but I could not figure out how it could be installed in a vehicle that came with the hitachi pump. They are very different designs. You can see the difference here……
https://youtu.be/0W7v_pmYb2Q
Firstly, the electrical connectors are different. The Hitachi has a power plug and a control pump with 6 wires ( 2 for control valve, 2 for temp sensor and 2 for god-only knows). The AMK has just the 2 pins for the power and 2 for the valve. You’d have to come up with your own harness as they plugs are different and the car would be upset by having unused sensors. Second, the hose connectors are different. A hose conversion kit may be available but if you just buy a pump, good luck. Third, the bracket that holds the hitachi pump under the car won’t hold the AMK as they are a different size and shape with bolt holes in different places. And finally, the AMK wont fit the sound deadening box. I think the cars that used them had them in the trunk at that point. So maybe parent of the solution is to move the compressor to the trunk.
I have heard many say the AMK is better but has anyone actually tried to swap a hitachi to an AMK? It seems there is an opinion that you can just swap from one to the other. If so, how and is the solution to throw money at it?
The AMK isnt better and when the hitachi factory got wiped out at Fukashima LR had no choice but to find a replacement, AMK is also used in some Mercedes and Porsche models so were already tested.
The genuine upgrade kit comes with all the hardware required for the swap including harness and new sound covers, my hitachi is 14 years old and after fitting a service kit last year runs like new again and i also have a spare.

DakotaTravler (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 08:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

I think the Hitachi is better because its rebuildable. AMK, not so much.

Elbaltinore (08-13-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 08:36 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
I think the Hitachi is better because its rebuildable. AMK, not so much.
Exactly, you can pretty much replace every part. Not many parts available for the AMK.

Elbaltinore (08-13-2021)