LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement key fobs and standalone key blades

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 03:15 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nickinps
Yeah, you have the bulk of it correct. The battery on the fob hidden in the vehicle is separated not to fool a thief (if they've made it that far, they've probably stolen everything they want anyway and 17 year old trucks are probably worth less than a few catalytic converters). It's because I was unsure whether there were some sort of proximity\sensor issues where the mere presence of a powered fob within the interior does something. Now I assume that wasn't true for a 2006, but separating the battery might help preserve its life. And when I got home from this hypothetical event where fob #1 was lost in a trout stream, I'd probably order a new key fob from eBay and then have the blade cut locally for a total of $50. I like having a backup somewhere accessible in the vehicle and a backup at home. The Gap Tool makes this possible without paying stupid money for each new key.

In the two years that I've owned this LR3 HSE, I've learned one thing: The Gap Tool is not an optional purchase. I've used it for lots of things, such as installing a trailer harness, dealing with suspension issues, setting certain options, getting regular fault checks, and a couple extra things I can't remember now. I firmly believe that if the current owner isn't including the tool when you buy the vehicle used, you have to mentally add $550 or whatever it is these days to your total price. If you can't afford the extra cash for the tool, you probably shouldn't buy the vehicle if you are going to be responsible for the bulk if its maintenance.

Nick in Palm Springs
Yeah in a year or two of lurking on the forums, one of the most clear messages across the board is that the the Gap IID is a must have, and not a "neat to have" tool.

I'm definitely planning on having it with me for the 2000 mile drive I'm about to make as my trip home with my first LR3 *hold my beer...*

I was under the impression that there is a proximity sensor on the keyfob based on looking into installing a remote start (for those of us in the northern states) and reading a lot of folks say that it would mean having to have an extra key fob placed in the car otherwise it wouldn't start - although I'm not fully 100% on if I was understanding that and since it's only getting warmer (mostly) for the next six months I haven't followed through on it yet.

Thanks for the response, obviously this was an older OG post. And if you don't mind me asking, how you liking your rig now two years in??

Old 04-03-2023, 05:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Very happy. Bought it for $3k with 97k miles, knew that there were expenses coming up (the Gap tool, keys,100k maintenance and fluid changes, tires, front control arms, rear differential motor) but none needed immediately. Put another $6k into it over the course of a year wrapping up those loose ends. It's definitely not a daily driver, not with premium gas and about 14 MPG city, but it's been solid and dependable. Put some things on I wanted for camping and play (like an Arksen 60" x 50" basket, hitch and harness) and I look forward to taking trips in it. I live in the desert and haven't come close to being stuck in really crappy sand. The day I bought the Land Rover I also bought a new 2020 Chevy Bolt EV for $21k as my daily driver, so I figure for $30k total I got the perfect vehicle when you merge them together.

One tip: Unless the battery is new when you buy the LR3, get a replacement. Costco has an Interstate H8(49) AGM battery that's bigger than stock, fits perfectly, and makes a big difference. The vehicle is very touchy about having a solid charge, and if nothing else you'll go crazy trying to hunt down the faults shown in the Gap tool when in fact it's just the battery not supplying enough juice at the right time.

Enjoy!

Nick in Palm Springs

The following users liked this post:
F451_Guy (08-16-2024)
Old 04-03-2023, 05:50 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nickinps
Very happy. Bought it for $3k with 97k miles, knew that there were expenses coming up (the Gap tool, keys,100k maintenance and fluid changes, tires, front control arms, rear differential motor) but none needed immediately. Put another $6k into it over the course of a year wrapping up those loose ends. It's definitely not a daily driver, not with premium gas and about 14 MPG city, but it's been solid and dependable. Put some things on I wanted for camping and play (like an Arksen 60" x 50" basket, hitch and harness) and I look forward to taking trips in it. I live in the desert and haven't come close to being stuck in really crappy sand. The day I bought the Land Rover I also bought a new 2020 Chevy Bolt EV for $21k as my daily driver, so I figure for $30k total I got the perfect vehicle when you merge them together.

One tip: Unless the battery is new when you buy the LR3, get a replacement. Costco has an Interstate H8(49) AGM battery that's bigger than stock, fits perfectly, and makes a big difference. The vehicle is very touchy about having a solid charge, and if nothing else you'll go crazy trying to hunt down the faults shown in the Gap tool when in fact it's just the battery not supplying enough juice at the right time.

Enjoy!

Nick in Palm Springs
Yeah the battery maintenance/phantom gremlins is something I've read about. $3k not bad at all even with the $6k to wrap things up! The one I'm picking up is luckily from an enthusiast who just did a ton of PM work - air shocks, radiator flush, oil change, alignment, new battery, and more - so that should help get me off to a good start. It puts a bit more $$ on the upfront price tag, but should also have helped knock out a ton of the big PM stuff before I get to it.

My improvements, barring any surprise issues in the next 6 months, would be: auxiliary battery setup with ability to jump, swing out spare tire mount, fog lights, beefier tires, and a roof rack. Seems like rackwise it'll likely be a ProSpeed or a FrontRunner 3/4.

Anyways, thanks again for the insight, always appreciate hearing tribal wisdom backed up from folks.

Cheers.