LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam Induction Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 02:52 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seafoam Induction Cleaning

There isnt any write up on this for the LR3. Was wondering if anyone knew if the Vacuum Line on our 3's fed all 8 cylinders. Cause if not it can cause damage to the engine. I was going to add it to the line going from the brake pump to the engine.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The most common induction cleaning used is the BG Service. I think there is a kit available for the DIY folks. I have added seafoam to the tank as a maintenance item. Here is video on injection cleaning.

The other big issue is the throttle body, I have not found a solution for that short of disassembly and cleaning.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I have not done Seafoam on this car, but I did purchase an injector/induction cleaning kit and finally completed this a few weeks ago. I would have done a writeup on it, but it is way too freaking cold around here and I just wanted to get it done. :P

Induction cleaning is very easy with this car due to the easy access to the throttle body. The hardest part was simply trying to position the atomizer nozzle in a good position to spray around the butterfly valve. I ended up just using a 4x1 board and zip tied the nozzle to that... then laid the board across the radiator fan shroud and the battery.

Injector cleaning was a little more difficult. They make it look very easy in the video above, but my biggest problem here was getting that damn clamp off of the fuel line. My clamp was turned so that the little nubs were facing the lower part of the firewall, so I couldn't get any pliers on it. I ended up having to purchase a special hose clamp set of pliers just to be able to release it. After that, it was pretty simple.

I bought my kit off of ebay I think, but it's similar to the OTC one used above. I then purchased the BG atomizer nozzle and had to source a couple of adapters to make it all work. All in all, it was a fair amount of effort, but should be much much easier the next go around. :P

Old 02-26-2015, 09:50 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

cmb6s - Did you notice any improvement? Do you have the V6 or V8?

Thanks.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I have the V8. I did not notice any real improvement in power, but I feel like the whole power band is just smoother and I feel like idle is a little bit smoother (not that it was rough before). The oddest thing that I noticed is that shifting actually feels smoother to me! I don't know why that would be, but I know a lot of people talk about the idle improving after doing the cleaning. I did notice this a little bit, but I really think the "driveability" (made up word) has smoothed out and become a bit more responsive. Too soon to tell anything in regards to mpg increases since the weather has been so crappy around here and I really haven't been doing my normal driving.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:36 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default got it!

So here is what I did with Seafoam

1. Buy SEAFOAM SPRAY!!!

2. Remove air intake from throttle body

3. Position seafoam spray tubing using the included seafoam position clip at the 12 O'Clock position.

4. Increase or reduce tubing to where its a 1/4 inch away from butterfly valve

5. Reattach air intake (just leave the pipe tightener loose and pull the air intake over there seafoam tubing)

6. Start the disco and rev it up to 500 to 1000 rpms over idle and start spraying seafoam! (Use a block to keep RPMs steady, or an assistant)

7. Spray for 2.5 minutes for half a bottle, or 5 minutes for a full bottle (I did a full can) S.O.S (You will most likely get a CEL of P0172 and P0175) Relax. It will go away

8. after the half/full can is induced, shut off the disco. And wait 5 to whenever minutes.

9. Start the disco back up and driv e it like you stole it! (Preferably in sport mode and on the interstate)

10. Add some BG 44k to a full tank and enjoy a smooth top engine cleaning