LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound System, speakers, amps, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:17 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sound System, speakers, amps, etc.

I've researched putting a different sub in the LR3. There's a few threads about this, and someone has put together an instructional in how to take the OEM sub out and replace it with a thin mount in the original location.

My plan is to run power back to the rear, and build a connector that allows me to put a box and amp in when I'm just tooling about (or working) and take it out when I need the space or when I need to raise the 3rd row seats. I plan on taking the signal after the factory amp using a product by Audiocontrol and feed it to a "real" amp and a decent sub.

Eventually, I want to replace the speakers in the doors as (and I'm being very picky as I know that they're really not bad) I think that they lack mid range definition. They sound a little muddy, and I can't tell if it's bad mid range or if they are trying to produce too low of a frequency for their actual capability.

Anyway, I do have a question after all of this: I'm not seeing that the door speakers have a crossover in the online service diagrams. It looks like that the tweeters are just patched in to the wire coming from the amp and the "crossover" point is merely the point at which the speaker's frequency is falling off...is this correct?

Old 03-19-2014, 06:19 AM
Drifting

So, does anyone know if there is a passive crossover between the door speakers in the high line system? Are they just wired in parallel to produce the 2 ohm load?

The following users liked this post:
The_OGCJR (06-20-2021)
Old 03-19-2014, 07:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

It doesn't appear as though there are any passive crossovers. Looks like the tweeters are wired in parallel to the mid-range speakers. The front "low-range" speakers are wired separately. See pages 9 and 10 (or 135 and 136... based on whether you go by the actual number of pages in the pdf or the numbers written on the page) here.

Edit: Lol. Sorry... I guess I skipped the last sentence of your original post. It seems like you've probably already read that document, so if you're looking for a "real life" verification of what's in the manual, I'll leave it to somebody else. I have yet to take my doors apart. However, I will say that I purchased my LR3 only 6 months ago, but have had two speakers fail since that time (both replaced under a warranty that was transferred to me). I find that odd... never had a speaker fail on my before to the point where I got no sound. I've blown speakers out, but have never just had them quit. :P

Last edited by cmb6s; 03-19-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:54 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the reply! I'm not encouraged by the wiring diagram, that's for sure. It just seems very odd that H/K would design a system without even a basic resistor/capacitor pair for a crossover.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Built into the speakers?

Originally Posted by revel8or
Thanks for the reply! I'm not encouraged by the wiring diagram, that's for sure. It just seems very odd that H/K would design a system without even a basic resistor/capacitor pair for a crossover.
Is it possible that they are built into one or both of the speakers where they are paired as it does seem odd? If so, it makes speaker replacement even more interesting.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

I know this thread is super old but I too have this question.

I have the midline system (in dash 6cd & no nav) and the wiring diagrams definitely don’t show a crossover. Im starting my pioneer screen install today. Im also deleting the hk amp and replacing with a NVX vadm 1004 (100 watts per ch)

At the very least I expect there to be some kind of resistors in line or at the speaker to block bass etc. But if there are none, I’d like to know the crossover points so I could buy the right passive crossovers…

on the high line (logic 7) system, I read the amp has a built in dsp.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Update! According to this thread: https://www.defendersource.com/threa...install.73205/

the factory tweeters do have a resistor wired on them.

bbyer (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 03:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Wiring diagrams - high and low end audio systems

Originally Posted by COSitsWORTHit
Update! According to this thread: https://www.defendersource.com/threa...install.73205/

the factory tweeters do have a resistor wired on them.
It looks like you found the answer to your question so thanks for letting us know and also the link as well.
You might already have all the wiring diagrams - sounds like you do, but the link below is to a number of pdf downloadable files the the high and low end audio systems on our 3's plus alot of other info re the entertainment systems.
I see many of the files each have over seven hundred downloads and a few over a thousand so some must have regarded the files as of value.
Again well done re finding an answer and good luck - let us know how it works out.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thu...hp?album=34462

The_OGCJR (06-21-2021)