LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering rack leaking fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mirepoixmatt
Mine was seals and o rings on rack. 275 from my Indy. He's a lr master tech. In north jersey if you want his info. Pm me.

Thanks for letting us know that it is possible to fix, and not necessarily a replacement issue. Can you be a little more detailed in where the seals and o rings were located that your indy replaced?
Thank you.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, just had a good discussion with my LR tech, and showed him the pictures. He says that most likely it is the power steering feed lines to the rack that are weeping. There are o rings that can start to leak, and even just a little will attract a mess of dirt and crud like seen in the pic.
He says to get under there, clean everything up with brake cleaner (while there, try to put a wrench on the fluid lines which attach to the rack, and give them a slight tightening to be sure they haven't come loose), then drive around as usual for a week, and then inspect. The leak should be very evident. If its from these line attachments, o rings are your issue. Should be a simple fix.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On mine the O Ring at the rack is shredding for some reason..put new O ring to replace one that looked cut up ..and two months later (now)this one started leaking...Got me a new $258 hose with new O Ring..they put it on yesterday..no leaks at shoppe, left shoppe, parked..seems to still be leaking ( probably at the connection) again today.

Last edited by Athana; 05-29-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:01 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you replace that O ring at the top of the input shaft of the rack? Mine's leaking too, 2010 LR4. Not sure what to do after I remove the upper bolt and repair manual doesn't seem to cover it.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Athana
On mine the O Ring at the rack is shredding for some reason..put new O ring to replace one that looked cut up ..and two months later (now)this one started leaking...Got me a new $258 hose with new O Ring..they put it on yesterday..no leaks at shoppe, left shoppe, parked..seems to still be leaking ( probably at the connection) again today.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by orim181
How did you replace that O ring at the top of the input shaft of the rack? Mine's leaking too, 2010 LR4. Not sure what to do after I remove the upper bolt and repair manual doesn't seem to cover it.
Thanks.
After O Ring changed twice with no luck..then Hose changed with no luck..that Hose re changed with a new one under warranty again leaking..they decided I needed Rack Replaced..$800 for a very good re-manufactured one
compared to a $1000 new one..not including labor ..it finally stopped..so far. We must have been in mechanics place 7-9 times wasting the day to get that "done". So It may be the Rack..
Then a couple months later thermostatic housing had to be changed due to another leak....then after that Coolant stated leaking..A LOT.. Our beloved cat drank it a few days before Christmas and died..the best Cat in the world..a freakin nightmare.
Radiator connection broke and Radiator replaced..
Keep an eye on Coolant Leaks

Old 11-24-2020, 06:46 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Athana
After O Ring changed twice with no luck..then Hose changed with no luck..that Hose re changed with a new one under warranty again leaking..they decided I needed Rack Replaced..$800 for a very good re-manufactured one
compared to a $1000 new one..not including labor ..it finally stopped..so far. We must have been in mechanics place 7-9 times wasting the day to get that "done". So It may be the Rack..
Then a couple months later thermostatic housing had to be changed due to another leak....then after that Coolant stated leaking..A LOT.. Our beloved cat drank it a few days before Christmas and died..the best Cat in the world..a freakin nightmare.
Radiator connection broke and Radiator replaced..
Keep an eye on Coolant Leaks
So sad to hear about your beloved cat. It's in heaven now. I just replaced the tiny O rings on the two lines going into the steering rack and it's still leaking unfortunately. And yeah, ours is leaking coolant as well and I suspect it's the O ring right behind the water pump because I already swapped the crossover tube that folks say commonly disintegrates at the tip.
What a pain...

Old 02-02-2023, 11:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Default Leak at clamp

I have a leak at the steering fluid hose clamp connecting to rack.
It disconnected last week so mechanic got a new hose and put it on..leaked at clamp so went back as clamp was not tight..we cleaned area down there a day later which is today checked and again I see a drip of wetness ??
What's the problem do you think.Some 3 to 4 years ago we had rack replaced with an OEM remanufactured as they kept tightening the and reconnecting hose and it kept coming loose.
Help please.Thanks