LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrain response not automatically returning to normal at high speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 09:07 PM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Terrain response not automatically returning to normal at high speed

Hi Folks,

Today, I was out for a ride in the snow and had my '05 LR3 SE in mud and ruts mode. As I came down from the hills, I turned off descent control and by the time I hit pavement, I'd forgotten I was still in mud and ruts mode. Many highway miles later, I noticed that the mud/ruts icon was still showing up on the dash and there had been no warning that I was going too fast to stay in the terrain mode I'd selected. I manually dialed it back to normal mode without issue, then slowed down and returned it to mud/ruts, made sure hill descent control was on, and then sped back up to 50 mph. There was again no warning about excessive speed for using one of the off road modes, and the mud/ruts icon kept showing on the dash until I manually dialed up normal mode again. Both times, I could feel a shift in responsiveness to the gas pedal, so I'm sure that switching between mud/ruts and normal modes was doing something. What is baffling me is that it has always automatically returned to normal if I drive above 35 mph for a short while. I couldn't find anything like this on the web (including a search of this forum). The rig has been acting normally other than that a couple of times in the last 2 days I have noticed that the front appears to lower when I pull up to the first stop after leaving home - something I've not seen before, as the height usually stabilizes before I leave the driveway. The battery is fairly new and I've not been having starting issues, so I don't think it's a low battery issue, but I haven't yet tested the battery to be sure. I have an IID tool that I've not yet run but I will be checking faults in the next couple days. If any of you have thoughts about what might be causing the failure to automatically return to normal, I'd love to hear from you. The only reason I want to fix it is because I figure it could be a sign of other issues - having the ability to use off road mode above 35mph would be nice, but not if it means having some other major failure related to this new 'feature'.

Many thanks,
Captain Sygo

The following users liked this post:
Hochdoerffer (12-12-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 11:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

There is no speed limitation on the Mud 'n Ruts setting itself...only the off-road height.

The following users liked this post:
Hochdoerffer (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 11:26 AM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you! I am embarrassed not to have known that, given that I have had the rig for 6 years or so and have been offroad countless times with it! I guess I must have concluded that the offroad modes were speed limited because I always raise the height when I am in one of those modes. Now I know better!

The following 2 users liked this post by Captain Sygo:
Hochdoerffer (12-12-2021), houm_wa (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 12:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts
Default No biggie...

...there is a lot to remember!