LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer wiring harness connection

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 02:01 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trailer wiring harness connection

Ive seen the video and read the instructions on how to connect the trailer wiring to the LR3.

But where the 2 grey connectors should be, Ive got nothing. Except this big blower?

I checked the other side for connectors but nothing there either.

2005 LR3. was this truck never prewired? or where else would they be?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Trailer wiring harness connection-fullsizerender-600x800-.jpg   Trailer wiring harness connection-fullsizerender-1-600x800-.jpg  
Old 05-09-2015, 11:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default The two blanked off connectors should be there.

I agree that what is in the picture are not the two blanked off connectors and you are looking in the correct place. I really do expect that they are hidden there somewhere however.

You are looking for two connectors that have dummy blank plug ends on them. The dummy ends are there to keep the connectors clean inside. When you find them, you remove each and then plug in the new Land Rover harness that I recommend you purchase.

Like all LR parts, the harness contains not only a trace of stardust, but also unobtanium - hence the elevated cost.

Given most of the problems related to our 3's are electrical, I suggest you purchase the official harness as the system senses, or is supposed to sense when a trailer is attached and is to tell the LR to behave.

By that I mean, it does not auto change height at speed; turns off the rear parking sensors plus some other obscure stability system related things.

The sensing circuits also makes the little trailer light on the dash blink green when your trailer signal lights are happily hooked up. Note that if the trailer has LED bulbs, that tends to make the 3 act crazy at times - why I mentioned happy as LEDs make it unhappy.

As such, you best consider building a LED adapter to fool your 3 into thinking the trailer has normal tungsten bulb signal lights or better yet, just have tungsten bulbs in your trailer - much easier.

This link has a number of files related to the wiring harness, the wiring colours, the LR official harness plus some material re the LED adapter.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - NAS Trailer Socket Pin ID and Wire Colours

Please let us know how the search goes - LR does dumb things at times but I doubt you have a special unique harness back there with no trailer light connectors. Also if you have a blower back there, you have a full load or near full load truck - the connectors are just hidden from easy view maybe behind the blower for some reason. You will have to feel for them I expect - nothing is every easy with a LR.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:53 AM
Overlanding

Bbyer. Lots of good info.

But for the life of me, those connectors arent in there. See video at this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/77o8ik4su7..._x264.mp4?dl=0

I did buy the correct harness so once (if) im able to plug it in ill pray for green blinky.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Hidden up in the bin area?

The connectors just have to be there somewhere - maybe a previous owner moved them.

Also did you look under the rear bumper area just to see if anyone previously tried to do a trailer hookup. Some of the stuff some of the owners attempt just to avoid paying for the official hookup really puzzles me.

That is a good video. I wondered if you had done it with one of the fibre optic cameras as you get into a lot of the dark hidden corners.

I still think the connectors are there somewhere and most likely up above where that storage bin is.

The jpg's below are of my hookup, (both are the same, one with the flash, one without). The two grey connectors on the left, (one above the other), are what you are looking for. The red squeeze tap is for power off the reverse lights for my backup camera so you can ignore that.

My connectors are clipped to that black metal bracket that shows in your video but has nothing clipped to it. Still, they must be there somewhere.

I looked in the wiring diagrams to see where the connectors either come from or tie to. I could not really find anything and that is I think because back in 2005 when my diagrams were done, there was a lot of confusion at Land Rover over the various world hookups. There still is by the way.

The Brits have a 7 pin plus 5 pin two external plug set up, except when it is a single 13 pin plug and the Australians, something even worse. The Aussies have trouble even when they know how to do it and LR does not make a harness as it is so puzzling.

Attached Thumbnails Trailer wiring harness connection-lr3-trailer-connectors-b.jpg   Trailer wiring harness connection-lr3-trailer-connectors-.jpg  
Old 05-10-2015, 01:34 PM
Overlanding

I appriciate your time and efforts. Ill dig further into panels. Read: take it all apart.

We are only the owners. Bought it new years ago. Didnt need a hitch until now because i towed with my D1 until it recently lost the engine. (Still trying to figure out what to do with it)

Video done with iphone 6.

Ill let you know what i find. Again. Much appriciation for support and info.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Overlanding

Ok.

Buried deep up behind the pump. There they were. i hadnt reached up behind pump far enough the first time.

Had to take off the cargo bin to release a screw so i could move the pump 1/2" to sqeeze wires and plugs to the proper side.

Havent pluged in the trailer yet but the headache is over for now.

Thanks again.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Patience and Persistance - typical Land Rover

I guess today had a successful ending by the sound of it. It is also nice to hear of a success.

Once you are ahead, best to rest and enjoy the success as no doubt there will be some fuss re the harness install.

My suggestion would be prior to the install, to clean up the screw holes located behind the removable plastic bumper cover that hides the plugs.

They may have to be chased out with metric thread taps as I would think that the holes and threads are rusted etc. The LR harness kit comes with the appropriate metric screws so you would beable to figure out what the thread size is.

If the trailer you are planning to tow has LED tail lights, now is the time to start the query as to what mods are needed to keep your 3 happy.

As I said above, the best mod is to change the trailer lights back to tungsten bulbs.

Re the D1, I think maybe there is someone out there who wants to either rebuild the engine or perhaps swap in one of those small block Isuzu Diesels. Keeping a 3 running can be a pretty time consuming task; I regard the trailer harness fuss as typical - takes weeks, not hours.

Looking into a Rover to swap in an Isuzu 4bd1t - Expedition Portal

The following users liked this post:
JBCO (05-10-2015)