LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to rebuild the suspension compressor.....need some help sourcing parts please

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 02:16 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to rebuild the suspension compressor.....need some help sourcing parts please

So I took on the task of trying to rebuild the compressor....before I get into what made me decide to do that with my limited knowledge of mechanics, I figured I'd just try asking:

I broke off the larger of the three tubes trying to get her out of the car. So, the first part of the question is: How can I replace or fix that tube the easiest? I'm in the US if that matters.

The second thing that happened is that one of the clips for the frame (for the 3 10mm bolts that hold the compressor frame to the vehicle's frame) also broke. Are these called something industry standard? If not, where might I get one of those the easiest?

The third and MOST IMPORTANT issue I had was that when trying to remove the broken off piece of tubing inside the compressor, I broke the brass ringed contraption. It's still not out so I have a two part question on this: CAn the rest of the bits be removed and if so, how? AND, can I find a replacement brass fitting for the friction fitment for that hole? If so, what would it be called/size?

I'm without the vehicle until I get this sorted so I appreciated any help! I have the compressor rebuilt besides the latter mess-up.

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2016, 07:36 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Photos of the doo hickeys might help for part recognition.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:58 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by abran

This is the main issue. The clip for the frame I'm sure won't be an issue. As you can see, the one air port is intact and I was able to remove the hose no issues, the other, however, still has some hose stuck in it AND you can see part of the brass apparatus that is suppose to remain with the compressor (friction fitting) is on the table next to it.

Is this in any way swappable (i.e. open that 18-19mm nut and can remove and replace that bit?

And, if I do get that far, what should I do about the torn hose still on the vehicle end to make it right?

Ugh. Bad weekend.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:21 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by abran

Old 03-20-2016, 06:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Bennett
Seriously, you not helping with this tiny picture to begin with, second of all, if you broke a brass push ring I am afraid you are of luck.
Seized parts like that require patience and penetrating oil, otherwise you WILL brake something for sure.
As far as speed nuts or captive nuts as they call them,part number is RYH 500170 and it comes as a package of three or four.Good luck

Last edited by thorgal; 03-20-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:19 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by thorgal
Seriously, you not helping with this tiny picture to begin with, second of all, if you broke a brass push ring I am afraid you are of luck.
Seized parts like that require patience and penetrating oil, otherwise you WILL brake something for sure.
As far as speed nuts or captive nuts as they call them,part number is RYH 500170 and it comes as a package of three or four.Good luck
Sorry for the small picture. Its been a while since I had the need to post pics on a forum. Things have changed slightly.

Anyhow, so you are saying the brass push ring is in no way replaceable? Under no circumstances? Or just not a LR part?

Thanks,

Dan

Old 03-20-2016, 08:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Definitely not a LR part.I don't really know how is it a serviceable part since nobody here ever replaced it. Sometimes when you cut a pipe you can carefully take remaining part out of the VOSS connector there and reattach 6hat 6 mm line, but since you damaged the quick connect i don't think it is serviceable .