LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining noise from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 10:46 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I mean that's easy to differentiate - just hit the fan speed control.

Mine squeaks due to accel / decel, at certain speeds. Blower motor fan bearings sound shot. Only certain temperatures will cause the issue though.

As is typical of LR - there are other problems that I've experienced which could also cause similar complaints. The AC compressor on both my RRS and my LR3 also "moan / whine" except with engine RPM so that's different obviously. Nothing to do with high / low AC refrigerant - just failed bearings due to high mileage and probably some original design screw-ups considering I know many 20+ yo vehicles with perfectly fine compressors.

Easiest thing in the world to verify - just hit the "econ" button.

Many times, even higher temps than outside will enable compressor including defrost in all modes, so econ button is only way to be sure.

Also it should be noted that the alternator seems to make noises under initial load when the vehicle is cold ( demanding higher battery recharge, and sometimes initial loads like air compressor, and in winter the defrost grids, heated seats, etc). Once battery levels even out (or bearings and oils warm up) that noise usually goes away, but I think it's alternator load related as is the case with most vehicles.

Oh and my power steering pump makes noise.

Only way to be sure about all of this is to connect chassis ears to all components but that takes a good amount of time as most is fairly hidden.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

My HVAC was making a whining noise. Changed with fan speed AND with engine RPMs. Could be just change in ambient noise (louder engine revs for example) causing it to sound different. Moaning when away with ECON.

I had the fluid re-charged. At first the noise persisted until I'd run the vehicle and HVAC a few times. Now it's gone.

So...I don't know what can be concluded from that, except that it's probably always a good first step since these aging HVAC systems can probably all use a re-charge. If it's still whiny, THEN look to the blower motor.