LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 LR4 Engine Knock Idling

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 06:59 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range Rover 5.0l na Ticking noise at idle, timing chain

Have you found the problem, timing chain job done but still ticks at idle. Ticking noise coming from the left side of the engine. Here is the video for reference.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0061.mov (13.90 MB, 96 views)

Last edited by Dsingh; 01-19-2024 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:50 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Dsingh
Have you found the problem, timing chain job done but still ticks at idle. Ticking noise coming from the left side of the engine. Here is the video for reference.
When you say timing chain job has been done - can you tell me what was done?

My car also makes this noise, especially on hot restart. It goes with rpm or after driving for a few moments - returning to idle all is normal.

When you had the chains done did they chance the VCT units and chains or did they just change the tensioner and guides?

Old 03-13-2024, 09:17 AM
2nd Gear

My current thinking or thought has been a lazy tensioner. I was hoping that the noise was coming at idle from slack in the chain making the VCT unit knock. The tensioner is a ratchet type but also fills with oil so as oil pressure increases the guide should move and take slack out of the chain.

Other working theories are low oil pressure at idle. However I've done 5k miles in mine now and the noise has not gotten worse and the engine has not self destructed so I am assuming I have oil pressure. Although I do still plan to modify an oil filter cap with an oil pressure gauge take off much like the stock Jaguar dealer part.

Next thought is the HP fuel pump, either the cam lobe or the pump its self. However, unless this has a hydraulic lifter I cannot see how/why the noise should be intermittent. My noise is identical to yours but only on idle. Left side of the engine when in the car (drivers side in the US).

Its a bit of a mystery tbh however not isolated - there are multiple instances of this on the net with Jaguars and Range Rovers. Sadly I have not found any such instance where the owner has given a definitive solution, generally their solution has been to trade the car in!

See some info and videos here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...riance-181551/

Last edited by JLRob; 03-13-2024 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi, been a while since I posted here. I have a 2011 LR4 , 188,000km. I've had it for 5 years since 133,000km. My research showed the timing chains were completed before I bought it at a reputable dealer in the Toronto area. The engine has always been strong and I have changed the oil frequently. I also added a Liquid Moly fuel cleaner about a year ago. The engine sounds pretty good, until I get the knock. To me it comes from the area of the Fuel Pumps. I thought it might be the tensioner in the oil pump/ fuel pump chain in the sump. But it is intermittent, shows up at idle (drive thru's are typical when you can hear the engine reflecting noise off the wall with your window open). It has been there since I got the car. It has bugged me but is yet to cause any failure. I'm not really answering the question as I have not solved the problem but just wanted to highlight that it's been there since I owned the vehicle (over 50,000km now). I get good fuel pressure and the engine is strong and revs freely.

It can be quite loud and disconcerting, nevermind the loss of credibility lol. Has anyone replaced the fuel pumps?

I just remembered, today I was changing the oil and the knocking started when I was heating the engine. Because I had the engine cover off, I actually put my finger on the fuel rail and I could feel the knocking vibration. Not sure if that's a clue!

Last edited by grammin; 03-21-2024 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Further thought