LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I get a refund or get a free repair
Free head gasket replacement
0%
Refund the car and get a different one
100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

CHOICE: free head gasket replacement OR refund on the car

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 03:33 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHOICE: free head gasket replacement OR refund on the car

Hi everyone
Thank you for this fantastic resource. I've got a bit of an unusual situation that I would love some advice on. I spoke to a mechanic who has suggested to take the refund and run, but there are more experts here I'm sure.

Bought a second hand 2013 disco 4 (3.0 ltr) from a dealer with 175k on it a couple of weeks ago. Within a few days the coolant warning went on, and after topping it up twice I took it back to the dealer who had his mechanic look at it. They originally said it was the EGR valves and it would take a month but after some pressing about why that would take so long they eventually said / found out it was the head gasket that needed to be replaced.

They are covering the cost of the repair, whatever it is. But they have also offered to refund me the $32k purchase price and we can part ways.

So my question is do I refund and run? Or let them do the repair? Although the car did have problems soon after sale, I do trust now that they didn't know about it, so trust that they'll do the repair properly. I also believe that therefore there haven't been symptoms of this problem for long so hopefully that means not much damage has been done. So I'm wondering whether it's better to have a car that I know these replacements have been done, and thus will be good for a while? Or better to dump the car and try and find another one with less history.

Thanks everyone!

Old 02-24-2023, 05:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

What else can you get replaced whilst it's apart, even if you pay for the parts only? I'd get ALL seals, gaskets, timing chain, pipes, hoses, plugs, etc done. You'd still be at the same risk for failures even if the head gasket hadn't failed with that many miles on the ODO.

Old 02-24-2023, 05:27 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jahummer
What else can you get replaced whilst it's apart, even if you pay for the parts only? I'd get ALL seals, gaskets, timing chain, pipes, hoses, plugs, etc done. You'd still be at the same risk for failures even if the head gasket hadn't failed with that many miles on the ODO.
Thanks that's a good point, Im sure they would do whatever I asked, they've been working with me on it.

I suppose the question is then though, is it more likely given the head gasket has gone that other things will go soon too? Or is it the same risk of things going in the future regardless of whether the head gasket has gone or not. I understand it's an old car and thus things are always going to go.

Old 02-24-2023, 05:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Head gaskets are rare, there's many more parts which're prone to failure on these trucks, if you're not familiar with them, start reading up ASAP. Great vehicles, but not for the weak...

The following users liked this post:
guy (03-08-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 12:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

More than likely, this truck overheated in the past and the heads warped. I’ve also read that the head gasket repairs don’t stick well - something about the head bolts not staying put well after replacement. Personally, I would not pay 32K for this model vehicle with a repaired head. After something like this, value should be much lower. If you are going to have the dealer do the repair, I’d make sure the heads and block are verified flat and in good condition by a machine shop.

Old 02-28-2023, 01:23 AM
4th Gear

Thanks everyone for the help making the decision. I've decided to return it.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:11 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by temp5
Thanks everyone for the help making the decision. I've decided to return it.
I’m so sorry this happened to you — and SO glad you are opting for the return. Honestly - I’m genuinely confused as to why you paid 32k for an LR4 with 175k miles? Is there something we’re missing there? KBB would put this vehicle $10-15k tops for a dealer transaction.

best of luck to you!

Old 03-01-2023, 10:11 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by VtBike
I’m so sorry this happened to you — and SO glad you are opting for the return. Honestly - I’m genuinely confused as to why you paid 32k for an LR4 with 175k miles? Is there something we’re missing there? KBB would put this vehicle $10-15k tops for a dealer transaction.

best of luck to you!
Lol sorry ... I didn't realise this was a US site, I am in Australia.

So it would be $21,500 USD for an LR4 thats done 108,000 miles.

Old 03-01-2023, 10:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by temp5
Lol sorry ... I didn't realise this was a US site, I am in Australia.

So it would be $21,500 USD for an LR4 thats done 108,000 miles.
Hahaha! Phew!! Huge diff..
I mean - I know people fall in love with these trucks but I was really a bit worried on the sanity end of things.