LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DANGEROUS power cut and crazy faults on my 11 LR4

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Your problem is most likely the alternator

The following users liked this post:
DeepState911 (08-04-2020)
Old 03-17-2019, 02:58 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issue with my truck happened again yesterday for the second time.

This time it was in the access trail to my family's estate while going 10 km/h. Split second power cut then multiple warning lights. Engine keeps running. Shutting the truck off and restarting it clears all warning lights.

I still have no clue what can cause this issue. The only lead I have is that the truck was driven for a longer period than my usual commute. It is a complete power cut, time and date were reset.

I had it looked at last time and my mechanic found absolutely squat. No broken connectors, melted or corroded wires or improperly seated fuses.

Again, any hint as to where to look or any help is appreciated.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:53 PM
8th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jull
The issue with my truck happened again yesterday for the second time.

This time it was in the access trail to my family's estate while going 10 km/h. Split second power cut then multiple warning lights. Engine keeps running. Shutting the truck off and restarting it clears all warning lights.

I still have no clue what can cause this issue. The only lead I have is that the truck was driven for a longer period than my usual commute. It is a complete power cut, time and date were reset.

I had it looked at last time and my mechanic found absolutely squat. No broken connectors, melted or corroded wires or improperly seated fuses.

Again, any hint as to where to look or any help is appreciated.
Same exact thing happened to me today. Restarted the truck and it was fine for the rest of the day.

Old 01-30-2020, 06:16 AM
Winching

Restarting the truck clears warning lights because all systems get the appropriate voltage, compared to what happens during mentioned power cuts.

For me resetting the the charging system properly with my GAP seems to do the trick (knock on wood, it's been almost a year since it last happened). The issue appeared after I had my battery changed and my mechanic was not able to reset the charging system with his scanner.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:29 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Your problem is most likely the alternator

replaced my AC motor blower 2 weeks ago $700

replaced alternator today $600

after same thing happened pulling into mechanic in heavy rainstorm

i have identified water ingress from clogged sunroof drains that runs down passenger column and into/behind dash which originally shorted out my ent system backup cam etc until car got hot enough to evaporate moisture and then everything worked fine

2011 LR4 100k

Old 04-28-2021, 10:09 AM
1st Gear

I am having the same kind of troubles! Looking to see what could be wrong with my 2016 LR4, Dealer can’t pinpoint our problem. Looking for advice, twice now while driving on the highway my rover dies while in motion, everything turns off, no power steering, every warning that could come on does.... it’s very unnerving and scary! We replaced the battery last October (not a Landrover battery as they were triple the price) I have 95,000 km on it. It’s been at the dealer and they can’t pinpoint any problems.....both times it has happened it has restarted but the second time I could not go any faster than 50km as it was reving so high and would not shift down.... appreciate any comments.TIA

Old 04-28-2021, 10:22 AM
Winching

On my truck, the engine doesn't shut down. The BCM seems to be rebooting, therefore shutting down everything related to it (instrument cluster, infotainment, suspension lowers etc...). I have always been able to shut the truck and start it back up as if nothing happened.
The climate control module has been pinpointed as the problem, the software simply needs to be updated. There is even a technical bulletin about this issue LTB00587NAS2.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

@Lynne Motkoski Did they check your transmission fluid by chance? There are lots of things that can put the car into restricted performance mode, but your mention of the problem with shifting makes me think of the transmission fluid. I’ve seen some posts on landroverworld.com where low transmission fluid was suspected as causing the car to go into restricted performance. There also have been some transmission fluid leaks noted in a couple of TSBs that cover the 2016’s.

You should try to get a list of the diagnostic codes the dealer would have pulled, and post those up here. Also post over at landroverworld.org under the LR4 forum - much more active than this forum.

Last edited by jlglr4; 04-28-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Brian S.

it doesn’t appear anyone responded to Jull’s post. The same issue seems to have just happened with me. Today we drove from Wichita you Flagstaff. I had the vehicle serviced on Wednesday and all was in order with no known prior history of issues. We had checked into our hotel and were driving to get pizza when all hell broke loose around 7:15-7:30 at night.

Forst I had a charging system fault and then a few moments later all warnings and system failures activated. I even had the vehicle’s air bag 30 mph speed warning activate. I was able to nurse it back to the hotel but the head lamps had turned off and the dash was blacked out with the left blinker blinking but no turn light indicator seemed to be functioning, it was pitch black in front of my vehicle. The right indicator would not operate. I was able to park the car but it would not start.

There isn’t a dealership in Flagstaff so I am wondering how tomorrow will go.

Any pointer/assistance is appreciated.
Exact thing happened to us tonight! Also a very hot day/ location. Charging system fault then about 15 min later the whole car went haywire. Got a tow the 30 miles home but now what do we do?? So many suggested solves here but none has definitively diagnosed and provided a solution. Is it a sensor? The cjb? The alternator? A loose wire? Any direction for me to provide the mechanic would be great!

Old 05-13-2021, 12:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

At the risk of stating the obvious, a charging system fault points to the alternator and/or battery, so you’d start there, along with pulling the diagnositc codes. This does sound like an alternator/battery problem. As the battery gets low, the battery control module starts shutting down unnecessary circuits to give your essential systems as much time as possible. As it shuts things down, all these codes and warnings start popping up and the car seems to go haywire. Bad battery earth strap can produce similar problems.