LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 -> LR4 compatibility? Tow assist ?'s, options, etc..

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 01:37 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default LR3 -> LR4 compatibility? Tow assist ?'s, options, etc..

So, I love my LR3 and had really planned to keep the thing forever (4th rover) - especially since I found an HSE in white, but I guess times change! I don't MIND keeping this thing, but the fact that I can get an LR4 HSE for ~$350/mo is a little too tempting.

I know most of my stuff will swap over, but what about the tow electrics? I'm aware that the electronics are a little more advanced in the LR4, and there are additional capabilities w/ the tow system and stability / dynamic control modules. Did these require a redesign of the tow electrics?

I actually have the same wiring from my old range rover sport that I sold! Different part numbers but you can cut out the lighting harness / plugs and the remainder is all you need - not sure if I can keep using this for the LR4?

Also, is Tow Assist an option, or something that's built into all LR4's once you install the tow electrics? I know it uses the rear camera for stability tracking (with tracker sticker) but does this require the surround camera option as well? Can't find good info on this. Hopefully not - as I'm sure those options are rare for '10-'12 LR4s.

What about the sound systems? I enjoyed the Logic 7 system in the RRS and the LR3 (even my Disco II has the Harman Kardon system) - what's the deal with Meridian? I think they switched in '10 right? Or was that still HK? Did they all get bluetooth streaming music?

I need to do a lot more research but the most important thing for me is not going backwards - the LR4 will need the rear seat AC (most don't realize the difference!!!) Xenons (did they keep adaptive xenons?) the heated windshield, rear heated seats, I actually used the center console cooler box, and the front & rear park distance monitors, etc.. will the HSE cover this as in the LR3? How common was rear seat entertainment? RRS and HSE had both so I enjoyed the capabilities.. I heard options got more stingy in the new rovers and you really needed to deck them out to get the same HSE stuff from LR3.

Will my lift rods from LR3 fit the LR4? I know the LR snorkel won't (dual air intakes on the 5.0) but everything else should bolt up. The LR rubber rear loadspace guard / cover, LR hitch receiver, blackout taillights (from an LR4, so obviously) LR side steps - I think that's it. Saves me a lot of $$$ though.

Let me know what you all think. If I get one with the nice wheels I might not carry over my 20's w/ 275s - at 32" it just destroyed the performance of my LR3 and I don't want to kill the LR4's peppy 5.0 by doing the same thing. I might not even lift it honestly.

Last edited by EstorilM; 05-01-2017 at 02:18 PM.