LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 3rd Row & Kids...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:56 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you can't put them thru the hatch. you have to have both seats up or have them in the back and then pull one seat up while in the back. not useful at all.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:24 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest going to see all the SUVs which seat 7 or 8. You'll find you will have to compromise on something. The LR4 gives you the configuration to put each seat down independently and they lay fully flat. With the slide type of seats, you compromise on cargo space since you can't get the seats all the way down. It really boils down to your intended use. I am no fan of minivans, but from a people hauling perspective plus cargo, it is hard to compete. Even most SUVs today still won't allow you to lay a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat in the back. A Minivan can.
PS - Rovin, the seat config is 35/30/35. I know you meant to add up to 100%

Old 04-30-2013, 05:25 AM
4th Gear

I'd rather walk than drive a minivan, so that's out...

I know there's a compromise on everything, that's why I was asking for opinions on the general difficulty in kids moving the 2nd row seats on their own. Is it optimal? No, I'd prefer the seating arrangement that you see in something where the 2nd row is 2 captains chairs, and the back row has 3 seats. That's not do-able because the only options I've found in that category all felt "cheap" to me when driving them...

I've been to every dealer there is, and have driven every 7 passenger vehicle out there. The reason I'm asking is because the LR4 is on the short list of options, and this is the one shortcoming I'm trying to overcome.

If it's a real pain in the butt, maybe I have my answer... but i'm getting conflicting points of view.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Rent one and drive with it for a few days. Let the female driver decide. Male driver just make the payments and attend to detailing and maintenance.

Or buy a pair of IPads and mount on the seat back, first ones in the back can play, they'll scramble in.

The seating arrangement you describe is exactly what is in my Kia, which gets 24 mpg, has 250,000 on it, and is quicker than the Discovery. Even works in modest snow according to Spike.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-30-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In terms of SUVs, I doubt you will find 3rd row seats as comfortable, even for adults, as the LR4. Since access to the third row is such a deciding point, you really have to just have the kids do it a few times with a dealer. My wife has no trouble with them and the kids would enjoy sitting back there with the glass roof and stadium seating, they get a great view of the road. Few SUVs will have the headroom in the third row as the LR4 and that is a big plus. Most third row seats are not comfortable for an adult.

These are awesome trucks but might not be right for everyone. I'd hate to steer you toward something that you would regret. Keep in mind that the kids are only getting older and stronger over the lifespan of the truck and moving the seats will only get easier and easier. Also the younger ones will be moving out of car seats into boosters - so things will only get easier with time.

Last edited by LabRat; 04-30-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
you can't put them thru the hatch. you have to have both seats up or have them in the back and then pull one seat up while in the back. not useful at all.
Sure you can. OP was asking about moving 4 kids. Three in the second row and leave one of the third row seats folded down. This allows the LR3 to haul 6 people and still have room for their cargo. Unlike having the third row fully deployed and having almost no room for 7 peoples cargo.

Another 6 person configuration is to fold the middle of the second row down with the two kids/boosters in the remaining outboard seats. Access to the third row is by climbing over the folded and lowered center second row. We do this quite a bit too.

Last edited by ktm_525; 05-01-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Throw a bag on M&Ms in the back and they'll find their way...

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 05-01-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:37 AM
ezs
6th Gear

New here - but thought I'd chime in on this.

Use the LR4 for the school run/car pool every day - and it's not a problem getting 8/9/10 year olds into the third row.

My kids prefer the third row - it's got great visibility and it's "out of the way".

You probably want to do some show and tell on the correct action of the seat folding.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Drifting

I think retroicon went with the minivan

Old 05-11-2013, 04:46 AM
4th Gear

Nope, didn't go with anything yet....

Quick Reply: LR4 3rd Row & Kids...