LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 11:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Based upon my review of higher mileage 2013 LR4's for sale it looks like brake/tire wear, batteries and water pumps (in that order) are the main issues.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:51 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on the service records, this one already has already had 2 water pumps, a battery, an air suspension compressor, two sets of tires and two sets of rotors (but the last set of tires and rotors was put on during the certification).

Old 03-01-2016, 09:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

As expected although I don't recall seeing any air compressor pumps in the higher mileage CarFax's that I reviewed.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by NVDiscovery
As expected although I don't recall seeing any air compressor pumps in the higher mileage CarFax's that I reviewed.
Carfax is worthless for vehicle history, especially land rovers. All I used it for was to see how many owners it had and if it had been crashed.

Find out what dealership it went to, pull all the records. Or get it inspected. Actually, do both.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:34 PM
1st Gear
Default 2016 LR4 HSE vs Lexus GX 460????

Hello,
My wife drives a 1999 Landcruiser that we bought brand new. 330,000 on it and still drives just about like it did the day we drove it off the lot 17 years ago. It is still going strong and now giving it to our daughter. Mechanical failure repairs over the life add up to $1,200...that's it.
Looking at the Lexus GX460 but then I checked out LR4 HSE and wow was I impressed with the LR4.
Here's my buy criteria/we plan to keep this next car for 20 years - reliable, safe, roomy for 7 passengers. 70% of our driving is on streets and highway. 28% of our driving is on ice & snow covered streets. 2% is dirt mountain Rocky Mtn roads.
Here's where the LR4 outshines its competition ~ most comfortable interior for ALL passengers, best visibility to the outside made for safest driving, easiest access to the most comfortable 3rd row seats, high tech interior but not overdone, best turning radius, and I would assume best handling in deep snow and ice covered roads.
Here's where the LR4 drops off the map - everyone...yes everyone says this will be the most unreliable and most expensive car to own due to poor mechanicals bumper to bumper. I called three independent Land Rover mechanic shops in town and two of the three said "slowly walk away from the car and then run". The 3rd one said the Lexus is way better and will last the 20 year reliable goals.
Comments/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:06 PM
1st Gear
Default LR4 Suspension Failure

So I purchased a 2015 LR4 HSE with about 38,000 miles from a LR dealership. I had the option of purchasing the extended warranty or making the car CPO. I chose the extended because if was only a bit more money but the coverage was an additional year. 3rd day having the car, I get an Amber triangle that said Suspension Failure. In normal mode. I looked online and it appeared no to be a big deal. Then I continued to drive and the triangle turned red and said not to exceed 30mph. Like really? It’s 3 days old. I didn’t do any “off roading.” Like I had the option to certify the vehicle because it was “pre certified,” I guess meaning it’s certified but for it to be official you have to pay for it. I’m so annoyed. I was in a town that I am unfamiliar with. The tow truck came within an hour which was great. They towed it to the dealership I bought it from. Had to take a taxi to an airport to get a rent a car because everything is closed on Sunday’s. I’m really worried about this. This is my first LR. I heard that there were some reliably issue, but I feel that it’s hit and miss with certain vehicles from LR. Just venting. Anyone experiencing/experienced the same?

Old 04-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mh712
Like really? It’s 3 days old.
not that this is acceptable at any mileage under 70k but it is three days old to you but it is really 38k miles old.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:15 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by mh712
So I purchased a 2015 LR4 HSE with about 38,000 miles from a LR dealership. I had the option of purchasing the extended warranty or making the car CPO. I chose the extended because if was only a bit more money but the coverage was an additional year. 3rd day having the car, I get an Amber triangle that said Suspension Failure. In normal mode. I looked online and it appeared no to be a big deal. Then I continued to drive and the triangle turned red and said not to exceed 30mph. Like really? It’s 3 days old. I didn’t do any “off roading.” Like I had the option to certify the vehicle because it was “pre certified,” I guess meaning it’s certified but for it to be official you have to pay for it. I’m so annoyed. I was in a town that I am unfamiliar with. The tow truck came within an hour which was great. They towed it to the dealership I bought it from. Had to take a taxi to an airport to get a rent a car because everything is closed on Sunday’s. I’m really worried about this. This is my first LR. I heard that there were some reliably issue, but I feel that it’s hit and miss with certain vehicles from LR. Just venting. Anyone experiencing/experienced the same?
Just went through this, 2012 with 88,000 miles. A suspension fault would come on about every three attempts in trying to change the suspension height. After shutting the truck off it usually reset. I also got the red indicator saying do not exceed 30 mph, it reset after powering down.

Took it in and the original air compressor had to be replaced. They now use a different vendor/system and all works well now. I bought an extended warranty for this vehicle and glad I did. They also replaced control arms, sway bar bushings and parts under warranty and I don't wheel this thing. Blew through my $4,000 extended warranty cost quickly and very glad I have it.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 140 Likes on 120 Posts

Maybe why the previous owner sold... sometimes it's not a coincidence. Dealer may not have known either
Clearly something they should fix given you only just bought it. Hard to tell online if it's minor (eg fading battery) or more significant. But in genera I've seen very few suspension issues mentioned on the forum for these cars so it's not a common reliability issue

If any consolation we bought our 2010 5 years ago with over 30k miles and have had totally trouble free driving. A few small fixes over time during annual service and that's all

Old 04-09-2018, 01:03 PM
4wd Low
Default LR4 ... ugh

just an update— I finally had enough with the brute. Had my fill of brakes needing replacement after 30k...tired of it chewing up tires at 30k... tired of$400 oil changes and the final straw was the burning of antifreeze (no leaking— just burned). Hey I loved the 2 LR4’s I had (2010 and 2014) they just didn’t love me back. You made a wise choice in regards to taking the extended warranty- it will be used. For a good laugh go on YouTube and put in Land Rover reliability— good stuff.
My ride if choice now you ask? Toyota 4Runner TRD off road... guess what? NO ISSUES!
Love the image and looks of the Rover just couldn’t stomach the breakdowns....

Quick Reply: LR4 Reliability