LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going thru the lemon law process on my LR4. They can't figure out the brake system. Pedal is "mushy" and goes all the way to the floor.

They have replaced the master cylinder twice, modulator once and a caliper.

Haven't decided if I will buy another one or not.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:59 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR4 Experience

I bought a 2011 LR4 LUX, put 60k on it and had no problems at all...zero. I will say the tranny was a bit noisy but no mechanical issues with it. Last week I traded it in on a 2013 LR4 LUX. This one seems a lot tighter (in a good way) Tranny is perfect and the Nav updates are nice. Not crazy about the wheels but maybe they'll grow on me.

This is my fifth Land Rover and their reliability is improving every year. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Awesome vehicle.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by gmax
I bought a 2011 LR4 LUX, put 60k on it and had no problems at all...zero. I will say the tranny was a bit noisy but no mechanical issues with it. Last week I traded it in on a 2013 LR4 LUX. This one seems a lot tighter (in a good way) Tranny is perfect and the Nav updates are nice. Not crazy about the wheels but maybe they'll grow on me.

This is my fifth Land Rover and their reliability is improving every year. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Awesome vehicle.
Thanks for the feedback. I have heard 2011 and forward for the most part have been reliable. Except for the brakes (rotors and pads) everything else seems great. The resale value has improved significantly as well

Old 11-25-2013, 11:50 PM
Drifting

Passed the one year mark with my 2012 LR4. Happy to say it's been problem free so far. It doesn't see a ton of use though with only 15,000 km in that year and some light to medium offroad fun. No regrets though!

Old 01-24-2014, 03:40 PM
3rd Gear

Sorry to hear that. I bought by Orkney gray LR4 last January and I have had no problems (nearly 12,000 miles). I love it and really hopes it holds up.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:11 PM
4wd Low

Well I just took delivery of my 5th LR3/4 on 1/9/2014. At around 200 miles on it (Last Friday), I was at a stop light. Lifted my foot off the brake pedal and as the vehicle went to start, it shuttered and died. All kinds of messages popped up about the terrain response system. (I have the Heavy Duty/2 speed trans pkg but was coming off of an expressway and had it in normal mode.) Got the vehicle started then Monday three lights showed up in my ip. One was the Eco mode with a line through it. One was a battery and I don't remember the other. Supposed to get vehicle back today. They replaced some module that had something to do with the eco start/stop system. I've never had a problem with my Land Rovers. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem child. On a side note, the Jaguar XJ they gave me as a loaner (4,400 miles) is sitting in my garage about to be towed. It won't start and even a technician who came couldn't get it to start. Hopefully Tata hasn't made a huge problem with this Eco start/stop system.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:39 PM
1st Gear

Bought a 2011 LR4 HSE Lux with 45,000 on it.
Water pump replaced at first oil service at dealer.
Rear view mirror passenger side motor replaced.
Vacuum pump in/near gas tank replaced.
Now looking at oil leak at the point where the High Pressure Fuel Pump bolts to the block, one time seal and one time hoses means a new HPFP.
Done the 60k service at 60,600 now.

I think my extended warranty from national used car chain has paid for itself once or twice.
Love the truck inspite/because of? everything!

Old 09-05-2015, 02:24 PM
5th Gear
Default Be careful

Originally Posted by nysmith
Hello,

I am strongly considering buying a new 2013 or used 2012 LR4.

I love everything about this vehicle, but the bad reliability scores from the likes of JDPower make me nervous. What these reports fail to mention are the TYPES of issues consumers have been having with their Land Rovers.

All cars have problems, it's the severity of the issues that matter. Are people making visits to their dealer because their radio isn't working, or because their car won't start???

So I'd like to know... What sorts of problems (if any) have you all had with your Land Rovers?

Apologies if this has been asked before... I'm new to the forum and couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

Thanks in advance!

Bought 2012 LR4
Mileage 26000
Hardly used off road

Minor issues -
1. yellow engine light easily comes on if engine on while filling tank
2.top roof liner clip came off
3. Leather trim cracked driver door (replaced under warranty)
4. Battery died after vehicle shipped (maybe not disconnected while shipping vehicle) replaced under warranty
5. Battery died again - replaced under warranty couldn't explain that one
6. steering column squeaks on turning wheel - LR can't seem to figure out what's the issue but accept its abnormal

Major issue -

Suddenly overheated without any warning (10 weeks after full LR dealer Svc). I thought it was my neglect but I cooled it down filled it up and drove off. It completely shut down, engine seized on the highway and then smoke and gasoline started dropping from below the engine. It was so dangerous the towing company disconnected the battery and hoisted onto the back of his trailer.
I was really worried the damage was irreparable and sure enough the dealer confirmed there was a major issue and the whole engine needs replaced.
Thank god I was diligent with routine servicing at the dealer and it's being replaced under warranty now (expires in another 5 months).
I owned VWx2, hondax2, ML350, Porsche, Accura, Jeep and have never had so many minor and major issues with a vehicle.

The irony is the LR/RR is so high class that I might consider buying one again but I would NEVER buy it out of the warranty period.

hope this helps....

The following users liked this post:
Athana (08-17-2023)
Old 01-09-2016, 08:06 PM
Overlanding
Default Made the wrong choice.... Maybe....

I was looking at the LR4 and Discovery Sport. Also drove a Touareg. Was trading in my '12 VW CC. I was really torn because the LR was awesome but my 2006 LR 3 seems just as solid given that it has 198k on it. I remembered a couple of bad experiences with the dealer and compared service departments and VW far outshined them. Bought a '16/Touareg and sort of regret not going with the LR4 but mileage and history pushed the VW. Maybe next year when the LR5 comes out I'll go back to LR. In the meantime I still drive the LR3 every day. Unbeatable.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Yeah sorry to hear people here have/had problems with the newer 4's. It does make me glad I went for a 3. I couldn't imagine adding more electronics than I already have to deal with now... Hope these get sorted and you guys keep enjoying them.

Quick Reply: LR4 Reliability