LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple warning faults

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 01:54 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple warning faults

I’ve got the Discovery 4 HSE. It’s playing up on me with what seems like an electrics problem. It can take a couple of tries to start it and then throws multiple faults at me such as Gearbox fault, ABS fault, suspension fault. The gear selector can either not pop up (so I can’t drive) or pop up slowly. The front tv screen will flash on and off and the reverse camera may or may not work. I’ve taken it to my local garage and he says they’re all fuse faults but that the battery is fine. He going to take a better look in a few weeks but I’m worried about getting stranded somewhere. I wondered if anybody had had a similar problem and knew the cause?
These are probably not related but I also have water/wet in the passenger footwell and have had a “only normal height available” warning light for a while too. Any help would be very appreciated!

Old 10-19-2023, 04:38 AM
guy
Winching
Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts

A “search” in this forum will show many threads on this situation. The common source of the issue is a degraded battery.
If it is the battery, change it. And watch the majic as the issues disappear.

One reason you see these issues is that there is not enough voltage and current available to activate the modules. And a degraded battery still ill effects the circuit, so the power provided by the generator (american term alternator) is not enough to power up all the systems/modules on system start up.

Or proceed as others commonly do. Try to recondition the battery. You might get another month or 2 or 3 out of it. As my time is worth more than the battery, I just replace it.

Last edited by guy; 10-19-2023 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-19-2023, 06:31 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by guy
A “search” in this forum will show many threads on this situation. The common source of the issue is a degraded battery.
If it is the battery, change it. And watch the majic as the issues disappear.

One reason you see these issues is that there is not enough voltage and current available to activate the modules. And a degraded battery still ill effects the circuit, so the power provided by the generator (american term alternator) is not enough to power up all the systems/modules on system start up.

Or proceed as others commonly do. Try to recondition the battery. You might get another month or 2 or 3 out of it. As my time is worth more than the battery, I just replace it.
Thanks for the advice. The battery is less than a year old and has been tested. The garage is going to look for anything that might be draining it temporarily when I first start it. Hopefully they’ll find something.

Old 10-19-2023, 11:40 AM
guy
Winching
Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by T45HAM
Thanks for the advice. The battery is less than a year old and has been tested. The garage is going to look for anything that might be draining it temporarily when I first start it. Hopefully they’ll find something.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Age of the battery has little to do with it.
I have learned that "it was tested" either equates to others not understanding the test procedure, or reading the results. Sorry.
There is a simple test you can do yourself.
1. Be sure to charge the battery to the "fully charged" state on the day before...
2. The day after, and before starting the engine, take a measurement of the battery voltage.

If the battery reads less than (12.6 v for lead-acid) or (12.7 - 13.0 v for AGM)...
(the "quality of the AGM battery dictates the no load resting voltage. The cheaper battery will read 12.7. The better battery 13.0.)
Your battery is done... then you can start playing the game I refer to in my previous post.

Old 10-19-2023, 03:58 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by guy
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Age of the battery has little to do with it.
I have learned that "it was tested" either equates to others not understanding the test procedure, or reading the results. Sorry.
There is a simple test you can do yourself.
1. Be sure to charge the battery to the "fully charged" state on the day before...
2. The day after, and before starting the engine, take a measurement of the battery voltage.

If the battery reads less than (12.6 v for lead-acid) or (12.7 - 13.0 v for AGM)...
(the "quality of the AGM battery dictates the no load resting voltage. The cheaper battery will read 12.7. The better battery 13.0.)
Your battery is done... then you can start playing the game I refer to in my previous post.
Thanks again. Will give it a go. Hopefully that will get it sorted!

Old 10-20-2023, 09:40 AM
7th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T45HAM
These are probably not related but I also have water/wet in the passenger footwell and have had a “only normal height available” warning light for a while too. Any help would be very appreciated!
Sounds like a sunroof drain is leaking into the footwell. I had this on my US LR4, the drain that had issues let water get in right behind the main fuse panel inside the vehicle, which could cause all sorts of electrical issues. Not sure if on the right hand drive models have to fuses in the passenger footwell but I would also look into that.

The following users liked this post:
guy (10-21-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 10:45 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by pettynerd
Sounds like a sunroof drain is leaking into the footwell. I had this on my US LR4, the drain that had issues let water get in right behind the main fuse panel inside the vehicle, which could cause all sorts of electrical issues. Not sure if on the right hand drive models have to fuses in the passenger footwell but I would also look into that.
Thanks that’s really helpful!!!! I’ll get them to check that.