LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2012 Land Rover LR4 - Tow Hitch ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 02:21 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2012 Land Rover LR4 - Tow Hitch ?

First off I would like to say this forum has been great as I have been doing research for my next car purchase which has led me to the LR4. Been comparing it versus the Grand Cherokee Overland Summit and have decided to go with a new 2012 LR4 as I think it will fit my needs better. I have discussed different options with my local dealer and they quoted me the following for the tow hitch option. $554 - quick release receiver, $352 - Tow electronics, $335 - Tow draw bar kit. This seems ridiculous just to add a tow hitch to a SUV. Based on my research across the forum it looks like I can buy these alot cheaper online and install myself. Can someone please verify that is the case and a smart thing to do? I just really cannot see myself spending over $1000 to add towing capabilities to my SUV. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 AM
5th Gear

I can't speak to all of it, but I have a 2012 LR4 and I ordered my hitch receiver online from ebay. It was shipped brand new from a dealer and was $335 I think plus free shipping. I only use the receiver and not the rest, but I would think ALL of it would be cheaper online. It is just a matter of installing the electrics. My experience has been that those dealers that advertise items on ebay can be contacted about other accessories at similar prices.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The LR4 comes with the hitch. You are paying for a fancy drawbar. You would have to buy a drawbar for the GC Overland too but it would likely cost $25. Welcome to the world of LR...

ps. I have no idea what the electrics portion is. I assume it is a wiring pigtail that should be plug and play. Check the web for deals.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt that things have changed on the 2012 from our 2010, but you only need two parts. One is an 'insert' into the hitch that converts it to a standard receiver hitch and the other you need is the wiring kit. I didn't do it myself, but the wiring kit comes with instructions and looks fairly straight forward to install. The only challenge with the wiring kit is that the dealer can disable the rear proximity alarm when it senses a trailer because without it disabled, you may get beeping to let you know something is behind you when backing up the trailer.

You need LR019990 (tow hitch receiver) and VPLAT0013 (electronics). Try eBay - here is one example

Range Rover Sport Trailer Tow Hitch Receiver Genuine Brand New LR3 LR4 | eBay

Old 12-05-2012, 05:48 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

on the jeep overland the parts to install the reciever are about the same as the land rover. you have to remove the bumper and cut out the inserts for the hitch. It doesn't come from the factory with the hitch unless specially ordered from the factory ahead of time. Plus like LR, on the jeep you have to get the wiring installed and the computer updated to accept the tow hitch. The LR4 has the easier design if you want to use the hitch assembly for bikes. You just plug and play. You can add the wiring later. Unless you buy a big truck nowadays you don't get a hitch anymore on any suv.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 AM
3rd Gear

thanks everyone, i do think i will try and attempt this myself as it will save some money. i found some dealers online selling the parts alot cheaper than my local dealer quoted me.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the tow electronics done at the dealer and sourced the hitch insert from the used market. The electronics is what you plug the ttrailer light portion into. I imagine there is some programming the dealer needs to do as well. It is hidden behind the removeable panel.

If you are just using hte tow hitch for a bike rack, you don't need the electronics.