LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner - First Time LR Owner - LR4 Fuel Issue, O2 Trouble Code

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 02:17 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - First Time LR Owner - LR4 Fuel Issue, O2 Trouble Code

Hey All, I just picked up a 2010 LR4 a few days ago. I'm having some issues and hoping to get some ideas.

Driving home from the dealer at highway speeds for 20 mins it started hesitating holding the speed/accelerating. It died soon after, but started on its own and I was able to get it home.

It struggles to start. Usually fails first attempt, but starts okay second attempt. Day later is throwing an error code for two O2 Sensors. Day three I took it to a Firestone location and they coded it saying it's throwing Catalytic Converter Error and it could cost $6,000 to fix.

I'm kind freaking out now. 2010 LR4 with 94,000 miles and one prior owner who had it for 10 years, never towed with it, had it serviced at the original dealer and looks garage kept.

I was thinking fuel pump, but now I don't know what to think.

Anyone have some suggestions I can take for a fix?
I did call a local dealers service department but they haven't called me back.

2010 Land Rover LR4
94,500 Miles
Owned 5 Days

Old 12-03-2020, 12:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

O2 and catalytic converter codes are symptoms of a larger, fuel related problem. My guess is fuel injectors. The unburned fuel melted your catalytic converters and fouled the o2 sensors. If you fix the cats without addressing the root cause, it will just happen again.

have a shop check the long term and short term fuel trims at idle and cruising. Then, check the misfire incidents per cylinder. This will indicate which cylinder / bank is affected.

I have also seen non-oem ignition coils cause a no start condition. This would also flood the cats with fuel.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:47 PM
3rd Gear

So I called the prior servicing dealership from the service records I got with the car.
They said it came in for a trouble code in June and they recommended Fuel Injectors to be replaced, which was declined.
Then it came back in for trouble code again and they recommended Fuel Injectors, O2 Sensors and Catalytic Converters.

I had to drive from Cleveland to Akron yesterday, after starting out it went into Engine Restricted mode for a few miles and was hesitating but came out of it after a couple miles and ran smooth the rest of the time.

I have been recommended a shop which helped someone I know who has a LR4.
I have an appointment to get it diagnosed in the morning, hopefully it won't need all that.
Thanks for the reply, I hope to find out more tomorrow.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you buy from a dealer or private sale? If dealer, I would try to make them cover some of this. It was an existing issue prior to the sale.

As I stated in my previous post, the bad injectors toasted the cats and o2 sensors. If you keep driving it, other things are going to start to fail. Best case, you'll need new plugs too. Worst case it strands you somewhere.

Old 01-07-2021, 11:29 PM
3rd Gear

So I found a local auto mechanic who has a LR4 and they found my LR4 was missing Grounding Straps and the Engine to Frame Ground Rotted Out.
They replaced all that, cost me a few hundred bucks and its running great.

Didn't think it was electrical at all. I was thinking it was fuel / emissions the entire time and going down the wrong path.

Old 01-08-2021, 06:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Get the codes read and confirm that's all that's going on. You may have recourse to the dealer if there are other issues depending on state laws. GAP IID tool is the best FCR for these vehicle albeit they're not cheap they will pay for themselves if you're prepared to do some work on the vehicle yourself.