LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not going to Firestone ever again.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021 | 07:40 PM
|
Mudding
Default Not going to Firestone ever again.

I don't do this but I'm actually going to rant a bit as this was 100% clearly an example of being ripped off.

Ok, so I did a full engine out replace and rebuild on my LR4. ( https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...-again-102667/ )

After the successful rebuild, all I needed to do was get the AC refilled(it really hadn't been hot yet) and replace the brakes and rotors. So I go into Firestone last week to get the AC refilled before hop on a 3 day weekend down in Savannah. They quote me $308 as the rear AC means it needs a "more than usual" amount of refrigerant. So, they call me about an hour later and say they refilled it and the AC wont work. They get pressure but it is not circulating. They kind of pause.....like I'm just going to say I'll come and pick it up I guess. Then I ask them to find out what's wrong and they say it'll be a $100 diagnostic.

They call me what feels like les than 20-30min later and says the compressor needs replaced. Again, not even trying to ask me if I want to fix it. So I say I'll come and pick it up that night, pay for it, and then get back to packing for the trip.

So....I go on my trip, it's 100 degrees out all weekend, and we sweat our $#@% off the entire time. I'm shopping for new compressors from Nissens and getting prices but I figure I'd go in and take a look at everything. I mean, I put the engine back together and maybe I missed something or popped a fuse.

Pulley looks good. I get under the car and start looking for the wiring and behold...do I see an empty socket? IT WAS UNPLUGGED. So I plug it back in and start up the car. Cold AC in 30 seconds.
That's not even where it ends. I go back and look over the car and the invoice and guess what I find?

- They charge me for 4lbs and 4oz of refrigerant and the actual work order from the tech says they used 2lbs.
- Both my AC service port covers are now gone.
- All the wiring around the ports were yanked off their claps and left dangling.
- There is a $59 addition to my bill marked with a time of pickup but no reason whatsoever as to what it was for.
- My final bill was $475 and I walked out of there with no functional AC and they didn't even seem interested in fixing the issue.

How can you charge someone $100 to diagnose a problem and your diagnosis doesn't even check to see if the hardware is plugged in? You just say "replace". The invoice has clear signs of up-charging for no reason and I was charged double for refrigerant.

So I'm not going to even call their store and I'm going right to corporate customer service for a full refund. Outside of incompetent work, it is clear I was overcharged by almost $200.

I do not confront small customer service issues. I'm just not that kind of guy. But this....I was clearly ripped off.

Old 06-08-2021 | 08:11 PM
Drifting

For a completely empty system it’s 900g, so just under 2lb of refrigerant. I’d get on their Twitter page and complain of up-charging. The other things they can wriggle out of perhaps, but the blatant overcharging for the refrigerant charge is terrible.

Either way it sucks to feel like you’ve been taken for a ride.

Glad you got it working in the end though.

Stu.

Old 06-09-2021 | 08:51 AM
|
Mudding

I think I am equally mad at the shop as I am at myself that it turned out to just be unplugged. I had tried the DIY method of refill, which I have the tools for, and it may have actually have saved me a good deal of money if it had been...plugged in.

I am a bit relieved now though. Now I know all that needs to be worked on is replacing the brakes rotors and pads and my to-do list for the full rebuild is done.

Old 08-10-2021 | 07:13 AM
Banned

You are all worked up and I stopped reading but I will say that caster is non adjustable and does not effect tire wear or a pull. They were a little lazy with their toe adjustments though. The camber is only marginally out and while it can be adjusted there isn't a existing provision to do so. You have to install special bolts. I'm guessing the camber may have been brought into spec on the second alignment because they actually fine tuned snaptube vidmate the toe adjustment.

Last edited by bidoulatt; 08-11-2021 at 05:38 AM.