LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder coat vs painted wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 10:27 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aluminum, unlike steel, does not take kindly to cyclical loading and will fail after a finite number of cycles. It will work harden itself until becoming so brittle that it begins to crack. The properties of aluminum can very greatly though depending on the alloying metals used.

Racer X, there are likely many factors that contributed to the failure of that wheel. It most likely would have failed eventually, whether it was powder coated or not.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bbekemeier
Aluminum, unlike steel, does not take kindly to cyclical loading and will fail after a finite number of cycles. It will work harden itself until becoming so brittle that it begins to crack. The properties of aluminum can very greatly though depending on the alloying metals used.

Racer X, there are likely many factors that contributed to the failure of that wheel. It most likely would have failed eventually, whether it was powder coated or not.
It's a stock Honda S2000 wheel that was powder coated that color.

I can dig up plenty of examples of stock and aftermarket wheels that have failed the same way after powder coating, where un-coated wheels have had no such failure.

That said, I've seen enough failures to never powder coat any of my wheels, regardless of what sort of service it's going to see.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasAg
I paid $75/wheel to powder coat mine. Been very happy with them, so far a year now.
Where was this done? I just got a "new" set of steel wheels and I'm thinking about what to do with them.

Also, when a wheel is powder coated, is it the entire wheel, even the part covered by the tire, or do they mask off that part?

Old 07-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Orkney LR4
Got a deal for $400 here in LA to have all 4 RRS wheels powder coated to match my 2013 Black Design package. Haven't picked them up yet, but vendor seems reputable and looking at quality of pieces that were waiting to be picked up, should look good.
where did you get yours done at? and how did they turn out? I'm in LA as well and I'm looking to get mine done. thanks

Old 07-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I use this paint for my wheels.
https://www.dipyourcar.com/Kit-Wheels-cat/
Easily removable, very forgiving, and do not have to remove the tire to get a good clean edge (self cutting)

I've used the anthracite, and flat black finishes.
A friend did his whole (brand new) BMW 650I in flat black, to protect the paint.
Was cheaper than the 3M sheet you can use that are clear, and offers the same amount of protection.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:30 PM
MM8
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Powder coated wheels

Originally Posted by Orkney LR4
Got a deal for $400 here in LA to have all 4 RRS wheels powder coated to match my 2013 Black Design package. Haven't picked them up yet, but vendor seems reputable and looking at quality of pieces that were waiting to be picked up, should look good.
Thank you for sharing, where did you go to get the rims done? I'd love them to do mine.

Old 02-25-2021, 09:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MM8
Thank you for sharing, where did you go to get the rims done? I'd love them to do mine.
FYI that post is 8 years old, so you may need to look anew. (A quirk of this forum, it seems, is to 'suggest' posts that can be v old).

If you are looking at changing your rim colour, then I'd agree with the comments about powder coating weakening the rims. A better option (my opinion) and far cheaper is to PlastiDip them. You can do a full set of rims for less than $50 if you're prepared to put in a few hours and the result can be excellent and is very durable. Maybe not concours quality finish, but they can look great.