LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 04:49 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seeking Opinions

Hi there,

We have been looking for a used Land Rover for some time now. Up until this point, we have been looking at 2008 LR3's and are familiar with most of the "Usual Suspects" when it comes to maintenance. Today, I managed to find a 2012 LR4 HSE LUX locally with 170,000 Kms and a bad motor. I'm still doing some reading to see what options are out there but was hoping that while I read, someone may chime in with their opinion. Happy to hear opinions both for and against.

From what I can tell, the 2011 - 2012 V8's were notorious for timing chain issues, which is exactly what has happened with this unit. The chain has come off and I'm guessing the valves have been introduced to the pistons . The unit is currently sitting at the local LR shop and the current owner has bought a new Jeep.

My thinking is that I could buy the vehicle, which is in great condition otherwise, and replace the engine myself or have it replaced at an Indy shop. I'm fairly handy and have completed motor swaps in the past but I'm not getting any younger. My question is, has LR fixed this timing chain issue in subsequent models? I found a hint that the 2013 V8 motors had been corrected but it was more of an inference than a straight out statement. It wouldn't make sense to replace one bad motor with another ticking time bomb.

Perhaps there is a better option or better year motor to look for?

Any options or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Last edited by ccpeabody; 11-06-2020 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

While I think it's important to do diligence on potential problems with these vehicle, I don't think that one should use it as the basis to make the final decision. LR are complex beasts (overly so in many respects) and have the ability to throw a hissy fit at any time. The tendency for forums to be the refuge of people seeking help with problems can make issues seem bigger than they are in reality. I'm not sure if the 2011-12 V8s were 'notorious' for timing chain issues. I think the only ticking time bombs out there are in the Euro SDV6 engines due to the oil pump issues. I've had my 2006 V8 for 4 years and it hasn't missed a beat. I'm only selling it because I want to get in a very late LR4 and hope to keep it running for as long as possible since they're out of production.

Personally, I'd pick based on what I could afford, condition and history of maintenance. Trying to second guess issues based on forum feedback/MY issues isn't much protection in my view.

Good luck with the search.

The following 2 users liked this post by pagoda:
BOHICA (11-05-2020), TexasLandmark (11-06-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 10:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

You might check out Copart and IAA salvage auction sites. Lots of LR4 models out there. I have been checking around to replace our LR3. They have everything from burn cars to theft recovery vehicles. Word to the wise, have the vehicle personally inspected before bidding. Prices are really high right now. Also, look for trucks that are sold by insurance companies, Copart usually lists the seller. There are scammers out there that buy heavily damaged vehicles, straighten a body panel or throw on a new hood and run them back through the auction. I saw a Toyota 4Runner that is listed in Dallas right now that looks pristine. It was badly hit in the front and sold at an auction in Ohio or thereabouts a month ago. Be careful. That said, I would much rather swap some body panels than replace an engine on the LR4. I saw a good example of a LR4 sell yesterday, $4200 in Louisiana. Looked like a branch had fallen on broken the big glass roof (still intact, just all cracked up) and did some metal damage on the roof, not horrible. Had over 100,000 miles but was a good looking truck. Seems like there are many more available in the Northeast than in the the West. Good luck.

Phil

Old 11-06-2020, 11:23 AM
3rd Gear

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I'm located in Canada and have called around this morning to all the local salvage dealers and they can only find two motors available in Canada. One with head damage, most likely suffered from the same affliction and another with unknown history. The damaged motor was $5000 and the other $9000.

I called Land Rover today and spoke with the Service Manager. He was great to speak with and quoted $20,860 tax, labour & parts included for a new factory motor. The only catch was that there are none available and he was unsure how many months we would be waiting for a new motor from LR. The other option was to defer to the Crystal Ball and try to guess what would be required to repair the engine. They have it apart to the point that they can tell that the driver's side timing chain has come off the sprocket and the pax side is still on. They have confirmed bent valves on the drivers side. I've asked him assume the drivers side head and associated components are all a total write off. We are waiting for a quote (guess) and hope to get it this afternoon, The problem is that it's almost impossible to guess what damage has occurred without first taking apart the engine. Should there be damage to pistons, connecting rods, crank... the potential list goes on and at $153.95 per hour, it doesn't take long to add up.

The average asking price on 2012 LR4 with 170,000 km here is about $23000.00, so after purchasing the unit for scrap and then adding the motor repair, we would be at or just above the going price but would have a new motor.

All food for thought.

Last edited by ccpeabody; 11-06-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Not sure what prices LR used approved vehicle go for, but getting a vehicle and adding a warranty could be another way to go, albeit probably the most expensive route.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LKQ has 22 used LR4 engines for sale w/1 yr warranty for as low as $6K (USD). Have heard good things about the company.

https://www.lkqonline.com/2012-Land-...ly/-hnOj43cnnP

Last edited by Dan7; 12-02-2020 at 10:47 AM. Reason: forgot to add URL
Old 12-02-2020, 07:34 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Dan7
LKQ has 22 used LR4 engines for sale w/1 yr warranty for as low as $6K (USD). Have heard good things about the company.

https://www.lkqonline.com/2012-Land-...ly/-hnOj43cnnP
Thank you very much for this.

We decided against the LR.

The following users liked this post:
Dan7 (12-03-2020)