Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

1995 RRC MSD Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 01:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome!

Let me know if you have any problems. If you follow the schematic you should be fine.

Also The 8910 gets very warm so don't tuck it away. I also stuck spacers on my 6A to help with vibrations and temp control.

let me know how she turns out!

Old 09-23-2014, 01:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RoverLWB
Awesome!

Let me know if you have any problems. If you follow the schematic you should be fine.

Also The 8910 gets very warm so don't tuck it away. I also stuck spacers on my 6A to help with vibrations and temp control.

let me know how she turns out!
Any chance the 8910 and 6A are waterproof? These will be going in my trail truck and I just had issues with the ECU in my '98 rotting from the inside out.
If not, do you think it possible to mount these units inside the cab, like the passenger foot area?

Old 09-23-2014, 04:03 PM
Three Wheeling

The 8910 is a sealed amplifier. So that should be good.

However the 6a isn't. But mopar guys mount them on the inside of the fire wall, so I don't see any reason why you couldn't. I'd only hesitate about mounting it under the seat due to the length the wires have to travel, but that's just me. It should be fine anyway.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

My buddy did this a while back on his 1900 RRC because the amplifiers kept dying. He ended up hollowing out a bad amp and running the wires from the MSD directly to the pickup inside of the distributor. I think the old amp basically just held the wires in place. He never had an ignition problem again.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Three Wheeling

I was thinking of that but if he were to lose his MSD for any reason then he wouldn't have any hope of getting anywhere.

I left my amp in just so I can resort back to stock wiring in seconds if I had to. At least getting me do an un modified state for trouble shooting or to get out of the woods.

But that's a good idea, 1 less thing for the voltage to travel through! Every little bit counts.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Made the Water meth video.

Video is a little high but then quiets down.

I'm planning on making another video once I get some more fluid and other accessories for the system.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Very nice! I think that song was in Super Troopers, no?

Old 09-30-2014, 03:16 PM
Three Wheeling

Yeah. I only realized it after I made the song mach up. Plus it sounds so good in the Rover....my sub still works! ahha

Old 09-01-2017, 10:52 PM
4wd Low

Hello,

I have a '95 LWB too and have been plagued with stuttering and stalling after the truck gets warmed up. I have been back to my mechanic four times for the same time and a total of one month off the road, in the shop. I'm getting tired of all the excuses he makes and I keep asking about using an MSD ignition system, but never get a straight answer. I understand that he might not know about this, which is why I did a Google search tonight and found your post of several years ago. I read the comments and your write-up and it sounds like this might solve my problem.

My my main question, does MSD have support for this type of install, or do I need to use your schematic only? The mechanic installed a new OEM coil the last time I had the truck in his shop and now the truck is back again and "they aren't sure what the issue is". Sadly, there are t very many RRC mechanics near me in NorCal, so I take what I can get, but it frustrates the hell out of me to need drive something I like so much, but has proven so unreliable.

I'd like to do my own work - do you think this is a project that lends itself to just adding a couple of components? I'd hate to screw the ignition system up and have more problems than I do now.

Thanks for for your help!

Bob

Originally Posted by 95RoverLWB
1995 Range Rover Classic MSD ignition install (101)

MSD 6A Range Rover Classic Install - YouTube

This is what I’ve been reading/ researching/ losing sleep over for the past few months.
My 1995 RRC, Reman engine, Crower 50229 cam, NRP exhaust and performance plugs/wires.

Hello
MSD Digital 6A or 6AL with MSD 8910 amplifier.

To give an opening, I’ve been trying to improve my performance without sacrificing the ability to swap back to stock wiring in case of an emergency/ failure. If you can change a sparkplug or fill your tire with air you can do this project!!!!!!
Now for the improvements/ performance gains.
- Quick start up
- Fast acceleration
- Very strong Low-end torque
- The rover follows through, meaning when floored it still pushes me in my seat even doing 4800 RPM and doing 60+MPH!!!
- NO LAG!!/ Stutter.
- Awesome engine response.
- Pristine timing
- Sparks like a frickan lightning bolt.

The Downs
- Mounting/ available space in engine bay.
-Cooling is very important/ don’t jam it in the corner
-Cost/ medium upfront cost

MPG
On average I’m getting around 13mpg in town “I have a big lead foot” I love that v8 sound
On the highway, I just took a 6 hr trip; I got 20+ mpg doing 70. I could have gotten better if I kept the rpm's below 2500. I was also climbing “small mountains”. Aka Maine.

The MSD system is literally something everyone should get. This system can be wired by ANYONE!!! My engine runs healthier, stronger, burns the fuel more completely and brings new life back into the rover. Why you ask did I do this? Well I wanted more power, better MPG, and this is the basis for my water methanol injection modification. Im getting picky about my performance, but this install is amazing!

My rule of thumb, if it costs a tank of gas, buy it. This cost me about 4 tanks of gas. Trust me, it’s worth it.

Will this hurt my stock system?
-No, just don’t be an idiot and touch the red and black wires together.

Will I get better MPG?
-Yes, but not for the first month you will be a LEAD foot and having too much fun!

Can my stock amplifier coil and distributor going to cause a problem?
-No, don’t touch any of that, just follow my schematic, the stock system is only carrying stock signals, the only heavily amplified signal is being sent to the sparkplugs.

Will this work with my 94 disco/ RRC.
I’m a Range rover guy, if the wiring in a disco is the same as a RRC then yes, put it in!!!

Old 09-02-2017, 01:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Have you tried simply replacing/relocating the ignition amp module? Most problems dirive from that one piece.

Quick Reply: 1995 RRC MSD Install