Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

1995 RRC MSD Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 04:47 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the head's-up on the ignition amp - I will look at that.

While I'm looking for better/more stable performance from my RRC, does anyone have a recommendation for spark plugs, over and above the factory-recommended ones that I'm using now?

If I go with the MSD system, do I, or should I replace the OEM spark plugs and what high-performance ones should I look at using.

Bob

Old 09-02-2017, 05:08 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Spark plugs, NGK 7734 work great (w/ MSDS or stock) and you can get them at any auto parts store or online. PLEASE DON'T waste your money on Platinum or Iridium plugs you will see zero benefits. And if you haven't already replace the ignition wires with a quality set, then get some from Sti.

Rockauto has the NGK 7734 for about $1.38 each
> https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ngk-7734

> STI-368 Wires > https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/lan...scovery-hls101

Old 09-02-2017, 05:41 PM
4wd Low

Excellent - thanks for the recommendation! The shop installed new spark plug wires last time and I will ask what brand they used. If they weren't the brand you recommend, I can afford to buy and install them. I will also ask what brand/type of plug they used - these were just changed - but NGK is a good brand that I've before in other vehicles.

Thanks for the help!

Bob

Old 09-02-2017, 05:57 PM
4wd Low

One more question regarding the use of the MSD Timing Control. There was a mechanic who worked at the shop I take my RRC to, and when I was having really bad stutters/stalls, he advanced the timing what he told me was "more than usual", and the truck ran good for a long while.

Any thoughts on the benefits of a controllable timing system on a vehicle that is not used to race or "trial"?

Thanks,

Bob

Old 09-03-2017, 07:02 AM
Three Wheeling

So,

I Run NGK plugs in my rovers. I have a 95 and 94 LWB both running the MSD system. The 94 does not having the “fly by wire” timing control, the 95 does. I can control the timing from the driver’s seat if I wish. I do not recommend the timing control unless you’re in a race application or you specifically need the timing control for some modification like water meth injection.

Hearing your symptoms I’d go with the ignition amplifier, it’s the small matchbox size box located on the distributor on 94 and older models and located in front of the power steering pump reservoir on 95LWB’s. The mechanic had to take it off when he messed with your coil. I highly recommend you replace this before anything else; they are a VERY common issue with all Rovers.

My MSD systems are designed to run with the stock Distributor and run though the old ignition amplifier. I did it this way to ensure I could always “get out of the woods” if something happened to the MSD system. I’ve been running the rovers for about 4 years? No issues. If you really want to go the rout of the MSD, just follow my wiring and you’ll have it going in a weekend, the hardest thing is finding the space to mount the actual box.

As for the spark plugs, DO NOT run the platinum plugs unless you’re running the MSD system. The old lucas ignition system doesn’t have the power to effectively drive the plugs. And even at that I only run the platinum plugs when highway driving. I run a “hotter” NGK plug normally. This means more of the electrode is exposed looking like a traditional spark plug vs a high ceramic platinum plug a “colder plug”. Hope this helps.

Check out the spark plug video I made a while back…

If you think you can get away with anything don’t… I’ve tried it… believe me.

Last edited by 95RoverLWB; 09-03-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:04 AM
Three Wheeling

For your viewing Pleasure. I highly recommend you watch it.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:11 PM
4wd Low
Thumbs up

Thanks so much! I've learned a whole lot viewing your videos and now I am seeing what others have also pointed out - looking at the ignition amp for problems.

One question to anyone who knows: the service shop owner I take my RRC to told me that Lucas sold their electronic relay business to the Chinese and that these components have a nearly 50% failure rate. Has anyone ever heard this before?

If so, does anyone know where I can find a better component that will work the same? Has anyone ever tried to build one?

Another question - I watched a video from England by an LR mechanic who has been working on the 3.5/3.9/4.2L engine series in the RRCs for some time and he recommended the relocation of the ignition amp and mentioned that there was a special bracket made for this - does anyone know about this? He mentioned that the current place on the coil or down beside it were "problematic" and that relocating it up above the coil, to the side of the radiator was better.

I am told that my truck should be ready to pick-up on Tuesday. I plan to ask questions about the spark plugs they used, the gap used, the wire set they installed last time, if they tested and/or replaced the ignition amp, and just for good measure, if they have inspected the distributor, rotor cap, rotor and electrical connections to make sure that the engine is getting a good spark to all cylinders.

That pretty much takes care of the spark, but the other part is fuel. I understand that there should be around 35-37psi out of the fuel pump. Does anyone know if there is a sensor onboard the '95 RRCs that provides a real-time pressure output? I know there is a port to obtain pressure if a gauge is placed on the line. The reason I ask is that I installed a Reveltronics digital output system the end of last year that provides digital readings for speed, gas consumption, cost of operation (as long as I put in the cost per gallon of fuel) and temperature (inside and outside). There are other sensors, like O2/lamda reading, fuel and turbo boost, but I am not using them. If there was a fuel pressure sensor, I could run a line from it to the head unit and get an idea if the fuel pressure was adequate. Just a thought...

Again, I appreciate everyone's help and especially the videos - when I get everything straightened out, I will try to make a video of the Reveltronics read-out showing the output of all the functions it measures, if there's an interest.

Thanks again!

Bob

Old 09-04-2017, 12:22 AM
4wd Low
Default On the topic of working on my RRC...

I thought I had this tee shirt from earlier this year. I found the maker on Etsy and asked to have the "bottom line" added, "LAND ROVER Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948". Truer words were never spoken!

Attached Thumbnails 1995 RRC MSD Install-range-rover-tee-shirt-mechanics.jpg  

Last edited by bobnmona; 09-04-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:06 PM
4wd Low

One question about the MSD 6A - I found a kit that had the "MSD Blaster" coil included. I understand that you are running the standard RRC coil, but what would you think - would the MSD coil be better, worse or equal-to the factory one?

Thanks,

Bob

Old 09-05-2017, 07:18 AM
Three Wheeling

The stock coil is 1.5 ohms, I believe the “MSD Blaster 2 coil is .7 Ohms”. You can always give it a shot. However you’re going to be restricted to using that coil with the MSD. If something were to happen to the MSD ignition, you wouldn’t be able to use that coil with the stock wiring. You can always try the coil, I was going to get the Blaster SS just to see how it did, but always leaving the ol-reliable in the back seat just incase.

ALSO its VERY important that you get the MSD 8910 Tach Adapter. This boosts the signal from the MSD to the rovers ECU. The MSD doesn’t put out enough signal voltage to tell the ECU that it has spark and to authorize Fuel. I found that out the hard way. Again just look at the diagram.

Quick Reply: 1995 RRC MSD Install