Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Waterproofing Electrical System

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 04:27 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterproofing Electrical System

I have a P38 and would like to put in a secondary battery. I'm considering running wire from the battery in the front to the rear load space under the truck. I'm concerned that when fording a river or driving in deep mud that I may short the connection out.

To add complexity I would eventually like to put a winch on the front that will be supplied by this system. I know the warn winches are waterproof but how about the wiring that supplies them?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to waterproof the electrical system?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You don't need to worry about shorting out a battery connection underwater. It's only high voltage that's an issue with water. Or delicate electronics.

Also, if you want a battery mounted in the back, you're better off putting your starting battery in the back, and your winch battery where your current battery is. To properly supply a winch you'll need about 4/0 cable if you have the battery in the back, which would be pretty expensive.
Your starter draws less than 150 amps and that for only a short period. A winch can draw 300-400 for an extended time.

Last edited by antichrist; 08-25-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:00 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's some excellent advise. I hadn't thought of putting the starting battery in the back.

Some one was nice enough to donate a huge amount of welding cable that had previously been used on a tow truck to supply jump start power in the front and rear of the vehicle. I'm planning on running the power around in that.

Regarding water and electricity. I know that perfectly pure water (distilled) doesn't conduct electricity at all. But if there is any salt of any form in the water it will conduct pretty well.

I could totally see issues with high frequency and water. It would tend to arc.

I'm pretty sure that if the wire running to the back were exposed and I drove in water then the power would flow through that wire to the frame (ground) and back to the battery.

Any ideas how to prevent that problem?

Old 08-27-2009, 06:32 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by aernan
I'm pretty sure that if the wire running to the back were exposed and I drove in water then the power would flow through that wire to the frame (ground) and back to the battery.
No, it wouldn't. People submerge their batteries a lot, starters even more often, with no issues at all.