New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 / 2018 Land Rover Discovery 5 price - What did you pay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 12:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

We got $1500 of MSRP on our 2019 HSE lux order, so similar to yours canon_mutant. Sucks that your dates got pushed so much. On the bright side if they drag their heels more you may end up with a 2020 :-)

We used a broker who found as a dealer relatively close.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a very interesting buying experience recently. Live in the NYC area, started the process over the summer. After a good test drive at the nearest dealer, I did a build of a 2018 Discovery, HSE Lux, TD6. The MSRP was nearly $80k. I emailed it to every dealer within 500 miles, along with instruction that I only wanted to deal via email (no calls, no dealer visits), and simply wanted their best price. The responses I got were fascinating. Some said I was out of their territory and wouldn't play at all. Some insisted I come in to talk in person (!) Some said they only offered them at MSRP. Others came down $1000, $1500, that sort of thing. One, however, offered me 5% off MSRP, claiming it was Invoice or thereabouts (I didn't bother checking even though I know it can be done). That dealer was very far from home, so I took the email to my local dealer, and lo and behold - after saying he could only give me $1000 off - he and the sales manager agreed to match the 5% off.

In fact, he said I could have 5% off a D5 td6 OR a Range Rover Sport Diesel. So, seemed like they were trying to push diesels obviously. They knew it was a custom build too, so it wasn't like they were trying to move iron sitting on the lot. Maybe they had upcoming allocations that were available. Who knows.

Anyway, we stuck with the D5 because we need a real 3rd row. Even better, by the time it was time to sit down and order our build, the system had changed over to the 2019 MY for orders. We matched our 2018 build to the 2019 system as best we could, and got an MSRP of 78189, for which we paid 74152. So it was actually 5.2% off in the end. We wound up leasing, and got them to honor the MF for October (they first tried to mark it up). Needless to say we are extremely excited. Pick it up tomorrow!

Old 10-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Not sure why it auto moderated your post but it's fixed now. sounds like a great deal good luck on picking it up tomorrow

The following users liked this post:
2019D5 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 12:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Not sure why it auto moderated your post but it's fixed now. sounds like a great deal good luck on picking it up tomorrow
Thanks! I deleted my second post.

BTW I wanted to note here that the MF's for October leases on diesels are lower than for gas. Residuals the same. But based on the MF looks like they're pushing the diesel.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

No worries glad to help. It's good they're offering deals on those trucks but I won't be in the market till there about 10 years old and a lot cheaper. I'm a baller on a budget kind of guy

​​​​ the next Landrover I buy will likely be a 4.4 L Jag powered L322

Last edited by ArmyRover; 10-11-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:55 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you pay is your business, but as far as options, I HIGHLY recommend the 7 seat climate luxury package that includes rear seat A/C vents. For a vehicle this large, with room for 7, I consider this package a must if you ever expect to have rear seat passengers. On the aftermarket side, look for side steps, as I find them very useful for entry/exit.

The following users liked this post:
2019D5 (10-12-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 06:28 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just bought a CPO 2018 HSE with Drive Pro Pkg, 7 Seat Pkg, Cold Climate Pkg and Vision Assist Pkg (Fuji White with Acorn interior) for $56,497 (it has 7,600 miles as it was a Dealer Demo).

Seems like it was reasonably priced (NADA invoice price is $62,717 and KBB private party price is $64,151).

Good deal?

Old 10-11-2018, 08:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

It is starting to look like my generally pretty good negotiation skills have become lacking given my measly 2% off MSRP on my 2019 Lux order. Here in the midwest though, I was having zero luck getting them to come down much on end of year 2018s so what I have coming is a better deal than any of those. And, there is a trade involved so they are likely giving me a bit more than 2% off MSRP and a bit less than what I said I had to have for my trade. I am still trying to sell our Audi myself, not very hard yet since I'm 2 months out yet for delivery, but they (like usual) offered me a "fair condition" trade value for a loaded 3.0 Audi Q5 that doesn't have a scratch on it, new tires, and brakes. I demanded "very good condition" or no deal (I think it deserves excellent - rare to have a 60K car with no scratches, dents, or even wheel rash) and they agreed so could be I am still getting just "fair condition" and they are really coming down 4% or a bit more off MSRP. Hopefully, I'll just get the Audi private party sold for what it's really worth in the next couple months and we can renegotiate a no trade deal when the Disco gets here . . .

Still no idea on lease, buy on payments, or just pay cash? Depends on the rates when it gets here on what makes more sense?

Old 10-12-2018, 09:42 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
It is starting to look like my generally pretty good negotiation skills have become lacking given my measly 2% off MSRP on my 2019 Lux order. Here in the midwest though, I was having zero luck getting them to come down much on end of year 2018s so what I have coming is a better deal than any of those. And, there is a trade involved so they are likely giving me a bit more than 2% off MSRP and a bit less than what I said I had to have for my trade. I am still trying to sell our Audi myself, not very hard yet since I'm 2 months out yet for delivery, but they (like usual) offered me a "fair condition" trade value for a loaded 3.0 Audi Q5 that doesn't have a scratch on it, new tires, and brakes. I demanded "very good condition" or no deal (I think it deserves excellent - rare to have a 60K car with no scratches, dents, or even wheel rash) and they agreed so could be I am still getting just "fair condition" and they are really coming down 4% or a bit more off MSRP. Hopefully, I'll just get the Audi private party sold for what it's really worth in the next couple months and we can renegotiate a no trade deal when the Disco gets here . . .

Still no idea on lease, buy on payments, or just pay cash? Depends on the rates when it gets here on what makes more sense?
Well, the buy vs lease question always has several factors, most of them personal. Things like: Can you deduct the lease payments against business income? Can you take the accelerated depreciation on a purchase against business income? Do you like a shiny new toy every 3 years? Do you put a ton of miles on a car every year? The answers may push you in one direction or another.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
A lot of dealers have incentives when using their financing only, but their financing is at a higher rate than you can get on your own. You'll have to do the math on which saves more over the life of the loan, but I've found going in with your own financing already will make them work with you a lot more on their rates. You can apply online and get a quick approval from BofA or most other major banks, but you can still finance through the dealer if they have a better deal with incentives.

There are ways to work a lease to your advantage in some scenarios, but you really need to be careful because the dealers WILL try to over-charge you. In my case I have a year left on another car purchase, so I wanted a low monthly payment during the overlap. I'll bank the amount I'm spending on the other car once it's done and pay the Disco off at the end. For that to be beneficial, I had to get the lease payment down and here's the end-to-end on how that went as it may be helpful to some (look at the drop from the first proposal, exact same VIN).

First (actually second as nobody would help me on my first visit and I had to make an appointment for another day online), I got a lease and buy quote that were both horrible ...to the point I walked out. Here were the terms of the first lease quote:

Next, I checked the internet for current lease specials. Most of the specials from LR are always lower trim levels, but I was really just trying to back the pricing on the special back to the APR (money factor) used to calculate the rate (Edmunds has an online lease calculator for this, which is used in the images). I did this for five different online deals, and found APR to range from 0.7% to 5.9%. I brought these to the dealership with me on my next visit (after requesting a new sales consultant):

Finally, I used those published rates to structure a lease that we could agree on:

I had them work up both lease and buy options. I found that the dealer was more willing to come down on the price and throw in upgrades (like the hitch install) when pitching a buy option, but once it was on the table I held them to it for the lease and ultimately did the lease. I did put down 16K, which would be stupid if you're not planning to buy the lease out ...but if you are then you might as well put some money down up front.

In the end, there are a lot of factors and some things will work out better or worse depending on the local market, buyer credit, timing of sale, sales people, or a number of other factors. The important thing is to know your local market (some of the ads I used were from local dealers) and never be afraid to walk away if you think you can get a better deal.

Edit: Forum shrunk the images, I'll reformat and re-upload
Edit 2: That's a little better

Last edited by SoCalWiley; 10-12-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Quick Reply: 2017 / 2018 Land Rover Discovery 5 price - What did you pay?