2017 Discovery - New Owners Thread - Page 4 - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

New Discovery V Talk about the new 2017 Land Rover Discovery

Old 10-10-2017, 02:02 AM

I posted this in a separate thread as well but I am awaiting a 2017 Discovery HSE with the basic 20'' rims. Anyone out there have a lead on aftermarket rims that will fit our cars? I need to get a set for snow tires.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:38 AM

First of all, you are looking for a wheel, not a rim. I would only use Land Rover wheels on your D5, not any aftermarket wheels that claim to fit a D5.

LR has used wheels with a 5 x 120 bolt pattern for many years, so you should confirm that is still the wheel bolt pattern on the D5. Call the parts department at your LR dealer and have them confirm the bolt pattern.

Next is wheel diameter. You can get a D5 with 19" wheels so I presume 19" wheels clear the brake rotors. Better to go with taller and narrower winter tires. Narrower works better in deep snow and more tire sidewall is more wheel protection from deep potholes. See Discount Tire or Tire Rack websites to see which 19" tire size has a diameter that is close to your 20" tires. I suspect it will be 255/55/19.

Finally, go to ebay to look for used 19" LR3 or LR4 wheels. Again, make sure they are OEM wheels. Or get these used wheels from Roverland Parts:
2005-2007 LR3 Wheel - 19 inch - 6 Spoke

Then get a set of Nokian Hakka R2 SUV winter tires.

Last edited by PaulLR; 10-10-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:11 PM

Thanks Paul!
Old 10-10-2017, 08:13 PM

Once you confirm that the D5 has a 5 x 120 bolt pattern, these should work for winter tires:

Set of 4- 19" Land RovER LR4 RANGE ROVER Factory Aluminum Wheels Rims OEM | eBay

You will also need to get the correct TPMS sensors for a D5. Probably best to get those from your dealer or a LR dealer that sells them online.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:03 AM

If your D5 comes with 255/55/20 tires, then go with 255/60/19 winter tires on 19" wheels.

However, I read that some D5's come with 255/50/20 tires. If so, then go with 255/55/19 winter tires.

The Nokian Hakka R2 SUV comes in these sizes, but order early as Nokian winter tires do sell out.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:28 PM

Hello all,

I am a first time LR owner and have just joined this forum. I recently purchased a 2017 D5 HSE LUX v6 petrol. I just wanted to share some of the ****ling issues I have been seeing and if it is happening with others too:
  1. Infotainment screen would not turn on. Restarting a car usually takes care of this
  2. Extreme lag in infotainment system
  3. I once had an error - "Gearbox issue" but it went after restarting too
  4. My speakers would did not work once. Needed to restart and it worked
  5. The car takes a long time to detect the sim (sometimes it does not)
  6. Error in reverse camera detection
  7. AND NOW - the engine light came on which has resulted in me reaching out to my dealer

I have driven ~2K miles so far. My dealer said the service manager will call me but they will likely provide me a loaner and need to book it for a few weeks. I hope this is another minor glitch and it does not take more than a few hours!

I certainly id not expect this from a ~$80K car to be honest.

carvoyeur
Old 11-14-2017, 09:03 AM

Yes I agree. I have had some real "buggy" things happening with my infotainment system also. So far no solutions or ideas have been posted. Mine goes in for a 15K mile check-up next week. I plan on showing the dealer the weirdness the electronics are displaying.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:32 AM

Curious if any of you added on any extra maintenance plan when purchasing your Disco? Is it worth it? Mainly the Term care (that supposedly covers replacement of brake pads for $1700 for 3 years) and Maintenance care (prepaid oil changes) for $1350 for 3 years?? I've never owned a Land Rover before therefore not sure how the maintenance schedule should be for this vehicle. Other than that... I love the drive! It's a wonderful car thus far!
Old 11-15-2017, 02:43 PM

I recently purchased a 2017 New Discovery Diesel. My reason for buying is I like diesel engines for towing boats and with the VW diesel fiasco, few brands are available. It seemed reasonable that the Discovery should be a good choice to replace an Audi Q7.

I have generally been satisfied with the car aside from the Adaptive Cruise control, the Advanced Tow Assist, and the need to continually have to reconnect the IN Control device.

I preface the following comments with the admonition that I am not well versed in internet, internet connections, nor am I proficient in smart phone manipulation(s).

I cannot find any dealer with knowledge on making the ATA (Advanced Tow Assist) work. I have watched various YouTube videos but they do not show how they set the system up to make it work. I think I have followed the manual instructions and the screen instructions, but I can't get the target placement to be consistently recognized on either of my boats. I can get no help from LR Customer Service. Any suggestions from the forum would be most appreciated as would advise and where to get help.

The Adaptive cruise control reminds me of 2000 Volvo S-80 standard cruise control. It is rather primitive for today's technology. I will ask the servicing dealership if they can fix problem's, i.e. maintaining set following distance, speeding up on hills, and losing contact with vehicles, with the Adaptive Cruise Control but I cannot imagine LR would permit changing the system in any way.

I did purchase the AT&T WIFI but the 3G coverage does not match my Verizon coverage. I turn off my Roaming on my iPhone because the phone starts streaming Spotify, Pandora, when the 3G AT&T coverage stops but the Verizon doesn't. I don't have unlimited data on the iPhone. I have no idea what the in control deal is capable off, but it is rather slow and I am not a most patient person. Again I am not computer savvy. Any suggestions on using the iPhone apps such as Off line Route planning, starting the car via the Remote App and using the IN Control function would also be appreciated.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvoyeur View Post
Hello all,

I am a first time LR owner and have just joined this forum.

I certainly id not expect this from a ~$80K car to be honest.
1) it is a Land Rover.
2) You bought the very first model year of a newly designed vehicle.

Best of luck
The Following User Says Thank You to DavC For This Useful Post:
carvoyeur (11-21-2017)