Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 HSE Diesel needs new engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 01:46 PM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2017 HSE Diesel needs new engine

Any advice would be appreciated on my situation...I have a 2017 HSE Diesel Disco with 90K miles (we also own a 2019 Evoque) - I heard a slight knock after pulling out of a gas station and ended up driving it to a 3rd party repair shop the next day...they told me that I needed a new engine. I had the car towed to my local Land Rover dealership and was told the same thing...a fuel injector failed and dumped fuel into the engine - there were chunks of metal in the oil. I thought I had a 15-yr. car when I paid up for the diesel. Unbelievable to need a new engine after 90K miles. Maintenance was done regularly. Quoted $46K for a new engine and fuel injectors...Land Rover USA offered to reduce it to $23K. Seems like they should do more.

The following users liked this post:
ar077 (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 10:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought my 2017 Disco TD6 expecting the engine to be impervious to such failures. If I'd known at the time that it was a Ford engine, I would have passed on it (I despise the Ford Motor Company for several reasons). I'm only at 53K miles and haven't had any problems so far, but after reading accounts of TD6 problems in the forums, I may reconsider my plans to keep it indefinitely. I'd also consider replacing the injectors if there were reputable aftermarket injectors available, as is the case with my Duramax truck.

Old 09-13-2023, 11:07 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by gu2151t
Any advice would be appreciated on my situation...I have a 2017 HSE Diesel Disco with 90K miles (we also own a 2019 Evoque) - I heard a slight knock after pulling out of a gas station and ended up driving it to a 3rd party repair shop the next day...they told me that I needed a new engine. I had the car towed to my local Land Rover dealership and was told the same thing...a fuel injector failed and dumped fuel into the engine - there were chunks of metal in the oil. I thought I had a 15-yr. car when I paid up for the diesel. Unbelievable to need a new engine after 90K miles. Maintenance was done regularly. Quoted $46K for a new engine and fuel injectors...Land Rover USA offered to reduce it to $23K. Seems like they should do more.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. European class action lawsuit puts TD6 failures at 8%, but that number can obviously only go up as time goes on they get more miles on them.

My sister's popped at 70k miles. Same exact deal, $46k quote. Her's ended up getting covered under CPO by a mere few months or it would have been a financial disaster. Now it's been almost 4 months and it isn't done yet. Dealer couldn't care less, and two dealers told her they we're not going to do it. It is absolute insanity. I am going to get rid of mine ASAP. It just tough for me to not have something that can tow the boat, horses, trailers, etc.

I think your best bet is to try to beat them up on the $23k number as much as possible. Call every single day, ask for things in writing etc, get the work done then drive the car for as long as the new engine has a warranty, or sell immediately. It really sucks man, I am sorry

Last edited by orangeman; 09-13-2023 at 11:14 AM.
ar077 (09-13-2023)
Old 01-03-2024, 09:01 PM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gu2151t

I’m interested in who you contacted at Land Rover USA…My 2018 HSE Lux Diesel Disco with 60K miles just went on me…heading to work & started to accelerate as I pulled onto the main road; engine started to sputter as I accelerated, looked down at the dash & it was lit up like an Xmas tree. Had it towed to the local Land Rover dealer & they first reported that the starter was destroyed, then told me 3 days later that the engine was locked & needs to be replaced at $48K + tax! They don’t know what caused the problem & they don’t want to spend the time to do the work. Car was regularly maintained by same local dealer (last maintenance was 3 moths ago). Was thinking with the diesel engine the car would last well past 100K miles.

ar077 (01-03-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 11:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

What a nightmare.

Here's a strip down of a Td6 engine which I suspect suffered the same fate - so yes the engine was not recoverable.