Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 Landmark from Texas Mild build up

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 10:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Never updated this.

Sold it back to dealer 6 months ago before we hit 35k miles on it to max trade in so that they could sell it CPO.

Zero issues with it. Loved every bit of owning it. Went to dealer two, or three times for oil changes and that is it. Land Rover of North Houston is a spectacular dealership. Oh....cracked front windshield from giant rock wife saw coming of a trailer... we traded it in with that crack. Stuck the factory wheels and tires back on it.

Wife got a Range Rover Sport Supercharged Dynamic...

Things we miss about Disco that are specific to Disco vs RRsport:

- watermelon catcher/seat on back hatch
- was optioned withroof a/c vents on ceiling (RRsport has huge single sunroof)
- she liked the looks better of Disco... I liked that it was unique compared to all the rrsports around us and I'm a sucker for asymmetrical things
-two glove compartments was nice
-3rd row was decent without being a Suburban sized vehicle... we rarely used that but nice to have
-the Landmark package was a sweetspot on options and looked excellent

Things we gained with RRsport

-bought someone else's depreciated asset. Got a lot of bang for buck
-gained almost 200 hp. Have like 517 now or something... this thing screams and sounds wicked. has Dynamic package with huge 6 piston Brembos.. and dynamic mode flips interior to red and is a blast. The Disco wasn't slow by any stretch... but Holy cow.
-more peace of mind with the tried and true 2013 forward v8
-rear locker was optioned. These seem to come on a lot more sports than discos for some reason... I couldn't find many Discos with them.

Thoughts:

- everyone should buy the iid/gap tool of they want to change heights
- the bfg tires in the 275/55r20 were superb and never rubbed
- Get windshield insurance
- modern Land Rovers are awesome.. skip diesels no matter what maker you choose
- incredible offroad capability keeping up with anything stock but a Rubicon... and destroying most peoples "modified vehicles
-incredible around town vehicle with kids
-incredible road trip vehicle
-the on road ride in Rovers is brilliant, no road fatigue and you can just enjoy the ride
- Coco Chanel said something like "luxury isn't about gimmicks and extra stuff. Luxury is about the lack of vulgarities" I don't remember it exactly and don't translate French well either but Rover nails it. With things like interiors that don't wear out, no nasty seams, sleek hidden wipers, lack of road noise, superior audio acoustics compared to anything Japanese or German... or American, IR coatings on windows keeping heat down... Rover avoids exposing you to some of the pains of driving. The things you can't see make them worth the premium.

Also

FOR SALE:

One unused Disco V winch mount from Lucky 8... also have the Factor55 extended fairlead for it. And the flush flat link
PM offers.
Lucky 8 sells this for $888 right now plush tax plus shipping.

I will definitely accept less than that

Behold the new one after it's wrap... and farewell to the Disco as it awaits new ownership... it was awesome.

Old 05-12-2023, 05:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Great write up

I thought it was funny that you liked the Disco more as it looked unique. Then I got to the bottom and saw the purple wrap RRS. That's definitely a bold look!

Old 05-15-2023, 06:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Did you say skip the diesels in a modern vehicle because I preferred the diesel over the gasser disco yes the gasser is faster but I just feel the diesel is better.

Old 05-16-2023, 08:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by LR disco 5
Did you say skip the diesels in a modern vehicle because I preferred the diesel over the gasser disco yes the gasser is faster but I just feel the diesel is better.
Was general advice... not referencing anything but my real world working and personal experience and I do not root this in performance numbers. I root it in cost and downtime fiasco metrics. Avoid Tier 3/4 diesels.... Unless you tow enough commercially with long hauls and thus require diesel. The fuel savings will typically not add up to cover the potential downtime and repair costs and this is not brand specific. Your results could obviously vary or be an outlier. I don't care for the heartache associated with them for my wife's vehicle. I personally do prefer fast vehicles with less chances of catastrophic failures. This isn't imaginary or conformation bias.

Old 05-17-2023, 10:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

As a 2017 D5 Td6 owner, I would tend to agree.

I will preface to say that I have enjoyed this vehicle tremendously. That said, if I had it to do over again I'd probably go with a petrol version. I purchased this when we were doing multiple long trips a year and it was great. But now that most of my driving is relatively local, babysitting the DPF is a bit of a hassle. Nothing catastrophic or necessarily difficult. But it does require attention and expense. And at the end of the day I'm not sure it's worth it.