Sponsored by:

DIY Fix for Leaking Windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 12:29 AM
DVD
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Fix for Leaking Windshield?

New owner of a used 2017 D5, and windshield just sprung a leak. I've had it for a month, and during that time drove for hours on the interstate in a heavy rain. I was pleased to note no water ingress.
This past weekend I finally got it on some trails during a camping trip, and very impressed with the off-road capability (coming from LR3 with HD). But it rained during the night, and water was leaking from the center top of the windshield. More rain on the highway drive home, and more water ingress. I recall reading one theory that monocoque chassis flex causes the windshield sealer to lose integrity, and that seems to be the case in my situation - either that or coincidence that it started leaking after spending a day on some rough rock gardens.
What now? It's a 2017, so not under recall. I'm afraid it would be a recurring issue if I were to take it to a glass shop.

Have any owners had success with sealing tape or silicone sealant or other?

Other than the leaking windshield, we're loving it!

Old 03-20-2024, 03:10 AM
Mudding
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

I've a 2017 never had a leak. I did have a full window replacement because of a rock in 2022, still no leaking. The forums will talk about poor quality controls from the factory making them leak, could be. I'd take it to a reputable glass installer and have them replace or remove and reseal if possible. If you do I recommended taking off the a-pillar trim prior or instruct the shop how to. There's a screw at the base of the trim, remove it then slide the trim up and out. Otherwise the clips break. The shop I took mine to broke mine.

Old 03-20-2024, 07:24 AM
Winching
Received 292 Likes on 181 Posts

Will you send me a link to the high-lift mounting brackets.

Thanks

Old 03-20-2024, 09:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Depending on what state you live in, windshield/window replacements are covered with no out of pocket cost/hit on your premium. As mentioned above, make sure your A-Pillars are replaced, along withe the plastic tabs, and the rain sensing sensor is properly installed if you have someone do this job. Can't stress the A-Pillars enough as we had to have those done twice when our windshield was replaced.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

If the windshields are leaking after body flex why are vehicles which have never been off-road leaking? I don't accept that as a cause.

Old 03-20-2024, 05:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

It's a well known and documented issue. The adhesive sealant doesn't bond well enough and they can leave a gap that causes a leak. Volvo had the same issue a number of years ago. Possible that body flex off-road contributed to loosening it although the windscreen surround shouldn't really flex..
Either way good advice above. Remove and reseal at a glass shop. Should be an easy job.

Old 03-21-2024, 12:03 AM
DVD
6th Gear

Thanks for the replies.
Originally Posted by gmfain
Will you send me a link to the high-lift mounting brackets.

Thanks
It's a high-lift part - got it from Amazon. This past weekend was my first use, and it proved sufficiently stout and sturdy. I wish it were black, to better blend with the A-bar, but I can always spray it.
Amazon Amazon

Back to the leaking windshield, if it's going to be a recurring thing, I'd like to try a diy fix before establishing a relationship with a glass shop. I read posts that suggested either:
  • windshield tape (e.g.,
    Amazon Amazon
    )
  • silicone caulk (e.g.,
    Amazon Amazon
    ) Looks like a nice little gap between the roof and windshield to allow a nice clean caulking job.
Might as well try something like this before taking it in. Has anybody tried any DIY fix with success (or failure, so we know what to avoid)?

Old 03-21-2024, 04:34 AM
Winching
Received 292 Likes on 181 Posts

Thank you!

Old 03-21-2024, 11:07 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I am a little over a year now with the windshield sealing tape on mine with no further issues. My screen was redone by the dealership before I purchased it in 2021 but I still noticed some slight leaks during heavy rain. Nothing since I put this on and we have had some heavy rain over the past year here in the Houston area. I would still get the windshield replaced/repaired if possible, but I put this on just for a piece of mind. The tape blends in really well and does not stick out.

Same tape that DVD linked to..
Amazon.com: 23Ft Car Sunroof Seal Car Windshield Seal Strip Universal Windshield Weather Stripping T Shape Windshield Seal for Automotive Truck Roof Sunroof Front Rear Windshield (14MM+19MM) : Automotive Amazon.com: 23Ft Car Sunroof Seal Car Windshield Seal Strip Universal Windshield Weather Stripping T Shape Windshield Seal for Automotive Truck Roof Sunroof Front Rear Windshield (14MM+19MM) : Automotive

Old 03-21-2024, 11:25 PM
DVD
6th Gear

Thanks for the tip, @Donc98 . I read a suggestion to try the windshield strip, but nobody who had experience with it. I've ordered it look forward to applying it.

Quick Reply: DIY Fix for Leaking Windshield?