New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5

Fire Extinguisher Install

Old 04-13-2019, 11:18 PM
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Talking Fire Extinguisher Install

I thought I'd share this weekend's mod

After searching all over the interwebs for a Land Rover Approved fire extinguisher, I could only find LR dealers outside of the US that offered one. Must be required in other countries? So, I figured I'd buy one off of Amazon and mount it myself. Coming from a Wrangler, I'm used to having the rollbars to mount stuff all over the place. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of spots where an extinguisher can be within reach of the driver and mounted out of the way in the Disco (while maintaining the luxury ambiance ). So, I continued my search online. I ended up finding a set of instructions for an LR extinguisher that would mount under the passenger seat! As it turns out, the ones available outside the US have the mounting materials to replace the two plastic clips right under the passenger seat. Now, we're getting somewhere!

Since my extinguisher cost $20, I didn't want to spend $160+ just to get another extinguisher and mounting hardware, so I created my own...

I went to Lowe's, purchased a small sheet of 16ga welding steel, and cut it to size.

After measuring the angle underneath the seat, I bent the metal until I was happy with the bend.

Next was drilling the holes through the plastic clips to hold the metal on top. After that, I drilled two more holes for the extinguisher mount, and all's done!

The nice thing for me was no drilling into the car was needed! Just into $0.10 clips that can be replaced if needed.

It's not really that noticeable while sitting in the seat. The backs of my feet are touching it here, but most of the time my feet would be more forward in the floorboard.

I've got another mount on order for the extinguisher. It will hold it better with a clamp that's easier to remove when needed. It's pretty much out of the way for the passenger but within reach if needed while out playing around

The following users liked this post: BchBum11511
andries (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 01:33 PM
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Nice job. I'm really glad we can see the edge of your shorts. Otherwise.......

The following users liked this post: ponderosajack
BchBum11511 (04-14-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 12:14 AM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Always put one in back but never thought about perhaps needing it more handy than that? Good food for thought. Thanks for posting.