New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone tuned the TD6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 07:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

I can assure you that it's not possible to hide that fact that you have put a tune in a LR vehicle. It raises a permanent flag on the ecu system when you put in a tune and even if you put back the stock one, that's there forever. When the Lr folks plug it into the ssd system it tells them that it had a tune

They can only void the warranty if they can connect the tune to it - so you are probably ok for most claims. But if for example you had a serious engine issue, then you could have a big fight on your hands. And at end of lease they might spot and charge you (although that appears to be very rare)

Old 11-13-2018, 09:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
I can assure you that it's not possible to hide that fact that you have put a tune in a LR vehicle. It raises a permanent flag on the ecu system when you put in a tune and even if you put back the stock one, that's there forever. When the Lr folks plug it into the ssd system it tells them that it had a tune

They can only void the warranty if they can connect the tune to it - so you are probably ok for most claims. But if for example you had a serious engine issue, then you could have a big fight on your hands. And at end of lease they might spot and charge you (although that appears to be very rare)
All good to know and very helpful, thanks. I might be willing to roll the dice re: a serious engine issue after a few thousand miles. But the 'end of lease' question is potentially troubling. Even if rare, any sense of what a $ penalty might look like?

Old 11-14-2018, 07:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

I honestly don't know on penalty and while I've heard of people saying they got 'caught' at lease return I'm not certain it's true. It is much harder to resell afterwards as it can't be a CPO car any longer and a discerning buyer might check and know. But in reality my guess is it's just sold on and nobody knows...

Old 11-15-2018, 02:56 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Recently had a shop buy a 5.0 from us. The owner had a Jag, which he put a tune in. The engine overheated and blew head gaskets and warped the block. He brought it in under warranty and the dealer instantly found the tune and told him that it voided the warranty.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by vulturez
Going to do the ChipExpress tune myself - https://www.chipexpress.com/products...ng-boxes/5609/

Numbers don't seem as good as Velocity, but it is half the price.
a chip tune vs a remap is apples to oranges. A chip tune fools the computer a remap makes the engine operate as it should just at different parameters.