New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at used discovery - what year has Carplay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 10:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
I agree, the phone navigation is better than the car.

The only negative about using the phone bag over the car is I don’t get the turn instructions in the dash gauge display which I really like as I don’t like having to look down to the center console. Plus it frees up the center console display for non Nav stuff.
Agree with the convenience of instructions in the instrument cluster and also in the HUD. Also, the in-car nav is touch screen friendly (can zoom in or out and move in map using gestures as on smartphones). Google maps on iPhone (my preferred navigation) is not as friendly on Carplay (have to enter a specific mode and zooming in and out or moving in the map requires pressing "buttons" on the screen). This why I'll probably pay the $116 for another 3-year subscription to the incontrol map updates.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:27 AM
4wd Low
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Curious if anyone has had success with the wireless CarPlay options that are out there. I’ve seen a number of Dongles that you can buy that basically fool the car into thinking that the phone is attached (by connecting to USB and then Bluetooth to your phone). This trick works on our GM truck, but haven’t seen much literature out there as far as compatibility with LR.

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (04-05-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 09:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

It shouldn’t matter which brand you have, but a lot of comments on YouTube videos and on Amazon said they had problems with them.
I’d buy one if they worked welll (connected automatically and don’t freeze etc) although it would be of limited use as I figure it probably drains the phone battery quite quick on longer trips (when I actually use Nav etc) which would mean wanting to plug the phone in to charge anyway. That said it could be useful for music on short local trips but I tend not to use the phone for that.
If you find a good one let us know.