Sponsored by:

Pre-purchase questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 05:05 PM
Mudding
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Pre-purchase questions

Hi All-

I've been on the D1 forum for 3-4 years, pounding away at a '97 LSE. Was always good, and sometimes awesome, easy to work on when something failed. But I had a disagreement with a tree (the tree's fine) and I need to find a replacement. I see a 2017 Discovery Sport (2.0L turbo) with 100k locally at a price I can stomach. It's had the turbo replaced and has new tires and battery. That's about all I know about it so far as I haven't been able to see it.

I've done some quick searching here and elsewhere and as usual the reviews are all over the place. I know my D1 experience and any comparison is all but irrelevant, but I'm trying to get a feel for this rig, or other D5's in general.

*The turbo replacement bothers me. I have a question in to the owner as to who did it, LR or local hack. OEM or aftermarket part? Anything else I should find out? I understand this was an issue with the early years
*100k miles. Should I be worried? I don't put a lot of miles on, so I can catch up to a reasonable miles-per-year number in short order
*I need to tow a 3,000lb boat and 1,000lb trailer twice a year up a mountain. Can the 2.0L handle this? Do the Sports models have towing equipment and if not, can I just bolt it up?
*How can I tell if the windshield leaks/has leaked and should this be a concern?

Any other things to look out for? Thanks in advance for any input. I don't necessarily have loyalty to the marque but I'm down to try it out if there are no red flags.

Attached Thumbnails Pre-purchase questions-img_8291.jpg   Pre-purchase questions-img_8294.jpg  
Old 12-14-2023, 05:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Discovery Sport is not a D5. It's the baby non-offroad version.

Old 12-14-2023, 06:45 PM
Mudding

thank you! I thought it was just a trim level and they were all the same. Super confusing!

Old 12-15-2023, 04:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 209 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Disco 5s

Greetings. Sorry for the D1. That does not look good, or repairable ....
On the new chapter....Disco 5s if your heart is set on that.
I know where you coming from, and going to a Disco Sport, is going to be disappointing to say the least.
I have a D5 (long wheel base) and at times, when I had it in the shop, I got a shiny loaner as a Disco Sport. I hated it with passion.
It is not a car, it is not a real SUV, and it is barely adequate for mud roads or gravel. Not impressed a bit.
However, that is a personal impression. I would never buy that thing, however.
Now, the real Discovery 5.
Let me start with: it is not a Discovery 1. If you look for that, then you may want to think again.
The good about Disco 5 (gas version )
- It has a good suspension, and it has a fantastic ride.
- most of the current gas engines are pretty good. They are not a P400 like on the Defender, but they are slightly different mapped, and they do a fantastic job in my humble opinion.
- amazing ride, comfort, and relatively secure - in an encounter with a tree like that, would fare worst than the D1, much worst.
- mods are possible, but not without a lot of work
- it will go off road in places you can not believe - one of the best offroad capabilities - except maybe Defender 110
The bad about Disco 5 ( gas version )
- almost every 3-4 year you may need a new windshield. The vehicle flexes so much that the seal will get bad, and you will have water ingress. Sun Roof is no better, but much easier to fix.
- parts (OEM) are kind of difficult to get, expensive, and newer models may require a half way decent programming tool even for smaller issues.
- body work (not to the extent of your problem there ) will be extremely difficult to fix, some times the insurance may total the car for relatively small issues.

Over all is a great car. Have a computer and a GAP tool with you, carry a 10 mm insulated wrench with you, so at times you can reset the grimlins by disconnecting the battery.
I bought a gas, and so far I am happy with it ( 2 years into ownership ). I would stay away of diesels, as they are prone to issues, and not minor.

Wishing you best of luck and in the end, it is a personal choice you will have to make.

The following users liked this post:
ar077 (12-17-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 05:20 PM
Mudding

Thanks so much for the thoughtful and informative response!

The D1 is hosed, but *almost* repairable. If I had a donor and a friend with a welder, it could happen. But I don't and need to look for a replacement.

It sounds like the D5s are not for the faint of heart and light of wallet. I'm certainly familiar with doing some repairs myself, but I think a D5 would challenge my abilities. I'd probably still consider it if I ran across one at the right price/condition, but I'm also looking for another great D1, or possibly a new Tacoma. I may be the first to cross-shop across these platforms....

Thanks again for the reply!

Old 12-16-2023, 07:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 209 Likes on 137 Posts

Funny you mention the Tacoma. My backup vehicle when the Disco is in the shop, is a Sequoia 2006, with 230 000 miles. All it takes it some oil and gas. No major repairs in years. Paint looks like @#it, but goes well with the parking lot at Kroger. It already has all the fashionable paint scratches so I don't care .
Some minor things you will be able to do on the Disco at home, with a computer and some mechanical experience. But bigger things will need a specialized shop. Not because it is a space ship, but they "closed" this car to average repairer at so many levels, that is not even funny.
There are about 96 "modules" (computers) in that vehicle.
I bought mine new, and at the same time I bought the JLR (OEM) warranty past the factory warranty. It gives me 8 years in total and 150k miles It was expensive, but trust me, what I paid for that warranty would be recouped in a single repair, if I need it. Say .... an air suspension, or something wrong with the transfer case...etc.
Within the factory warranty time, my D5 was in the shop no less than 5 months - ownership: about 2 1/2 years.
From transfer case, leaking windshield, dead battery in the first year, rear door issues, and many other "minor" issues.
This on a brand new car. What is worst ? 1/2 of that time was spend in getting parts from the other side of the world. The oil for the transfer case took 1 month to be found somewhere in Austria, sent to England, and then sent to the dealership.
JLR does not stock major components here in the US.
Yes, if you can find a D1 either donor, or another one and use yours for spares, you will be better off. They don't make them as they used to. In fact, no one does anymore, not only JLR.
Best of luck to you.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:55 AM
Three Wheeling

Standard maintenance (fluids, filters and brakes) is pretty darn easy in my estimation. My D5 2018 is at least as easy as my friend's 2016 4Runner.

mtaylo32 (12-16-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 01:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

My TD6 D5 is the best vehicle I’ve ever owned (2017 HSE 110,000 miles). Easy to maintain and pretty comparable in repair cost to the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland that I came out of. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy any JLR product, but would strongly recommend a pre-purchase inspection or a thorough list of maintenance records. This is my 3rd Land Rover and they’ve been the best vehicles I’ve ever owned.

ar077 (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 09:44 AM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mtaylo32
My TD6 D5 is the best vehicle I’ve ever owned (2017 HSE 110,000 miles). Easy to maintain and pretty comparable in repair cost to the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland that I came out of. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy any JLR product, but would strongly recommend a pre-purchase inspection or a thorough list of maintenance records. This is my 3rd Land Rover and they’ve been the best vehicles I’ve ever owned.
I'm with you! My D5 Td6 is the quintessential fusion of comfortable high-speed motoring and apocalyptic off-road capability (as stated by Mechano2020). I went with diesel for several reasons, including fuel economy (26mpg at 80mph), low speed torque, and safety (diesel fuel is much less volatile than gasoline so ample extra quantities can be more safely carried in external containers when overlanding). The most important reason I chose diesel is that, properly maintained, diesels are impervious to overheating. It's not a proper summer here (Las Vegas, NV) if July temps don't reach 115 degrees F. The gas version is probably a better choice in cold climates.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:06 AM
Three Wheeling

I'll third that! I really like my Td6 - I do live in a cold area, it gets down to the 20's regularly in winter. I'll probably fit a heater eventually. People are always amazed at the refinement considering it's a diesel. I like the bottom end torque the vehicle is a pleasure to drive on and off road. My third Land Rover/