Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racechip Tuning Box

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 12:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Racechip Tuning Box

Racechip RS tuning box: Performance chips – Chip tuning by RaceChip for LR Discovery v (l462) 3.0 SC (250KW) | RaceChip

The draw is the extra torque and fuel efficiency, which should be nice since we will start trailer camping this spring. The extra hp is a nice bonus. The reviews I found confirmed the claimed hp/torque gains on their products but I haven't seen much on the mpg improvement

The product seems easy enough to install and remove as needed since it only connects to the sensors, no flashing like the Velocity AP option for the AJ126.

Last edited by DeusMexMachina; 04-20-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:07 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool! Please let us know how it works for you. I can see the allure of using a piggyback system like the Racechip, especially if you're still under the warranty period. Personally, I've had mixed experiences with piggyback computers in previous cars, as they sometimes don't play nice with the factory ECU since they work by modifying the signals the ECU receives from various sensors. I actually prefer the flash route, as you are altering the fuel and timing maps within the ECU itself so it will be working off the actual readings from the sensors.

With that said, once you flash an ECU, you can pretty much kiss your engine warranty goodbye, as modern ECUs have a flash counter that will indicate if the programming had been modified. I may flash ours with Velocity AP once the warranty expires later this year.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DeusMexMachina
Just ordered the Racechip RS tuning box seen here: Performance chips – Chip tuning by RaceChip for LR Discovery v (l462) 3.0 SC (250KW) | RaceChip

The draw is the extra torque and fuel efficiency, which should be nice since we will start trailer camping this spring. The extra hp is a nice bonus. The reviews I found confirmed the claimed hp/torque gains on their products but I haven't seen much on the mpg improvement, I will report back once I install the product.

I chose Racechip since I didn't find any other tuning box options for the Si6 (lots of tuning options for the TD6 though). I didn't consider pedal tuners, though there are multiple options for the Si6. The product seems easy enough to install and remove as needed since it only connects to the sensors, no flashing like the Velocity AP option for the AJ126. I was tempted by the GTS Black but I think I will be happy with the RS, I also didn't buy the optional App. I will probably just stick with the best setting for me once I find it.
I was looking at Racechip before myself, but worried about the installation. Do you have D5 specific installation instructions to you could post? Let us know how it goes.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:15 PM
Three Wheeling

I think the reason they list this as a difficult install is that the manifold absolute pressor sensor is at a difficult angle close to the cowl.

Last edited by DeusMexMachina; 04-20-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:35 PM
Three Wheeling

These are the manuals I received from their customer support before submitting my order. I think the reason they list this as a difficult install is that the manifold absolute pressor sensor is at a difficult angle close to the cowl. It's going to take some dexterity or unscrewing the sensor.
Thanks. That doesn't look too bad. Please let us know which results are you seeing. Which Racechip version have you bought?

Last edited by LR#3; 02-04-2021 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-04-2021, 12:50 PM
Three Wheeling

RS. The GTS distributes the gains across a wider range of rpm, instead of the gains being on the higher end. However, I would expect that the D5 version has its own settings.

Last edited by DeusMexMachina; 04-20-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Rough getting the clip off the manifold absolute pressure sensor. It's in a difficult angle against the cowl. I have just enough wrist dexterity and gritty digits. If your blood isn't on the engine block is it really your Disco?

Last edited by DeusMexMachina; 04-20-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:29 PM
Three Wheeling

...oof, that was a rough install. Getting the clip off the manifold absolute pressure sensor was tough. It's in a difficult angle against the cowl. Luckily I have just enough wrist dexterity and gritty digits that I was able to get it off. Blood was spilled as I blindly jammed my fingernail into the clip to get the needed leverage to unhinge it. If your blood isn't on the engine block is it really your Disco?

I drove my usual route this morning and there is a noticeable increase in hp/torque. I left the Racechip in its factory setting of 4 but didn't push it hard since I want to get mpg figures. There was about a 0.5mpg drop in both of my "trips" which I will track to see if it is sustained. This morning was the first time we've been in the low 30's in Seattle this winter so I idled to get the heat up for the kids and I turned on the seat and steering wheel heat, so that probably had an impact. I will keep cycling through the different settings for a few days each to get data and feel for them.
Bonus, after dropping off the kids I lined up with a Raptor at a red light on a road that merges to a single lane, I had no problem getting a jump on it. I clearly heard the Raptor's wheels spinning on the cold asphalt.
Like to hear "noticeable" increase in hp/torque. Keep us posted.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:37 AM
Three Wheeling

...oof, that was a rough install. Getting the clip off the manifold absolute pressure sensor was tough. It's in a difficult angle against the cowl. Luckily I have just enough wrist dexterity and gritty digits that I was able to get it off. Blood was spilled as I blindly jammed my fingernail into the clip to get the needed leverage to unhinge it. If your blood isn't on the engine block is it really your Disco?

I drove my usual route this morning and there is a noticeable increase in hp/torque. I left the Racechip in its factory setting of 4 but didn't push it hard since I want to get mpg figures. There was about a 0.5mpg drop in both of my "trips" which I will track to see if it is sustained. This morning was the first time we've been in the low 30's in Seattle this winter so I idled to get the heat up for the kids and I turned on the seat and steering wheel heat, so that probably had an impact. I will keep cycling through the different settings for a few days each to get data and feel for them.
Bonus, after dropping off the kids I lined up with a Raptor at a red light on a road that merges to a single lane, I had no problem getting a jump on it. I clearly heard the Raptor's wheels spinning on the cold asphalt.
Seems like you had the race ship installed for a month. Any additional thoughts?

Old 03-09-2021, 01:30 PM
Three Wheeling

I am happy.

Last edited by DeusMexMachina; 04-20-2021 at 11:58 AM.