Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof Rail Cap Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 05:28 PM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyducts
Funny that I came across this forum and post while doing a search to locate some new rail caps.

I also installed a Front Runner Slim Line, (or more correctly, am in the process of). I too, destroyed my rail caps in trying to install the FR mounts. By the time I got to my 6th cap, and had marked up the black LR rails (even after applying tape as you all had done), I figured out (1) the caps were disposable, and (2) if they were disposable, I would rather destroy the cap and not scratch the rail. To that end I drilled two holes in the cap with a spade bit and pried it out.

After all that (which I figure was the hard part of the job) I went to install the FR supports, only to find that their aluminum spacers were about 1/4" taller than the factory rails. This left an ugly gap between the rail and the support. I spoke to FR and they had to discuss it with the designer in S Africa, which took about a week. The answer I received back was the spacers were correct, and had been revised to allow room for the sunroof.

Not loving the process or the look, i got some 1-1/4" EPDM foam rubber gasket and tried applying it to the bottom of the support legs to fill the gap. That became a pain in the ***, since the aluminum spacer needed to go through the gasket.

About the same time, a fellow from England contacted me about the installation through FB and let me know that his FR Slimline came with these really nice clamp on supports, no cap removal and no bolting needed. I contacted FR and they agreed to take the bolt down kit back and send me the 'new style' clamp on kit, which is supposed to be here today.

Now I'm trying to replace the caps, which I could only find on line through a JLR dealer in Tennessee. Look like the shipped coast for all 6 is around $60.

Dan

Please post pics of the clamp version when you receive.

The following users liked this post:
DeckB (05-07-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 06:19 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont pry them out from the edge. I tried all different tools and methods of protection and nothing worked all that well. If you do pry them, once you get them started, you pretty much have to destroy them to to get them out.

I found it it made more sense to drill two holes down through the caps, and pry through those holes so you were pushing against the cap itself. The cap is obviously still ruined, but you don’t ruin the rails.

i would suggest doing one as a test. Remove the cap, test fit the spacers, and test fit one of the front mounts. I ended up not loving the way the mount fit (gap under the mount) and ended up buying the clamp on mounts from FR. I installed the rack last night and it worked out really well

Dan

Originally Posted by DeckB
I’m installing a Frontrunner roof rack that requires the removal of the caps covering the mounting bolts of the OEM roof rails.

Frontrunner’s instructions show a screwdriver, but nothing else as far as how to actually do it. I’ve also looked at LR’s install instructions to understand the tabs holding it in place.

Anyone have tips on how to remover the covers/caps? I assume I need to get a lever in there and pry them, just don’t want to damage the covers or rails.

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2018, 07:23 PM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Luckyducts
Funny that I came across this forum and post while doing a search to locate some new rail caps.

I also installed a Front Runner Slim Line, (or more correctly, am in the process of). I too, destroyed my rail caps in trying to install the FR mounts. By the time I got to my 6th cap, and had marked up the black LR rails (even after applying tape as you all had done), I figured out (1) the caps were disposable, and (2) if they were disposable, I would rather destroy the cap and not scratch the rail. To that end I drilled two holes in the cap with a spade bit and pried it out.

After all that (which I figure was the hard part of the job) I went to install the FR supports, only to find that their aluminum spacers were about 1/4" taller than the factory rails. This left an ugly gap between the rail and the support. I spoke to FR and they had to discuss it with the designer in S Africa, which took about a week. The answer I received back was the spacers were correct, and had been revised to allow room for the sunroof.

Not loving the process or the look, i got some 1-1/4" EPDM foam rubber gasket and tried applying it to the bottom of the support legs to fill the gap. That became a pain in the ***, since the aluminum spacer needed to go through the gasket.

About the same time, a fellow from England contacted me about the installation through FB and let me know that his FR Slimline came with these really nice clamp on supports, no cap removal and no bolting needed. I contacted FR and they agreed to take the bolt down kit back and send me the 'new style' clamp on kit, which is supposed to be here today.

Now I'm trying to replace the caps, which I could only find on line through a JLR dealer in Tennessee. Look like the shipped coast for all 6 is around $60.

Dan
...glad I came across this forum -- I'm planning to install the FrontRunner Slimline II Roof Rack Kit (KRLD032T 1255mm × 1762mm) as well but using the original bolt mounting option (which essentially bypasses the factory rails) which I presume provides the full 660 lbs of cargo capacity (rack cargo limit). It seems like clamping the rack to the factory rails reduces the cargo capacity dramatically (163 lbs rail limit - weight of rack (~60 lbs) ) leaving just 103 lbs for cargo. Thoughts?

~Matt

The following users liked this post:
runNride (10-19-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 03:12 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know where to source the black caps that cover the bolts on the roof rail?

Old 10-18-2020, 08:53 PM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m also trying to install the FrontRunner Slimline II and also scratched up the rails trying to remove the covers. I scratched up one so just used the same technique but tried to minimize the damage.

I purchased a T40 bit but was unable to loosen the bolt, as a matter of fact I broke it. Curious what did everyone else use?

Old 10-19-2020, 05:05 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the pics! That looks a little higher than. would have thought (looks great though)! Did you consider the LR roof rack? I saw one at the dealer and it look like it sits a bit lower.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:09 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you received the clamp on kit? I am about to but a FR rack and would love to learn about how it went. Also, pictures please!!

Old 10-23-2020, 08:48 PM
Overlanding

Do you recall what torx size was needed to remove the bolts? So far everything I’ve to loosen the bolt has stripped

Old 10-24-2020, 05:21 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by willche
Do you recall what torx size was needed to remove the bolts? So far everything I’ve to loosen the bolt has stripped
Ok - so I found that a T45 works with a little elbow grease for some of the bolts. Make sure to store the front and rear bolts separately as the rear ones are longer.

At last I was able to install the FrontRunner rack. While I was at it, also installed the WeBoost at the rear.