New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow hitch

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 12:26 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bumper is held by 8 screws on the back and inside the wheel well. Also two push tabs located inside the wheel well behind the liner where the bumper meets the rear quarter panels.

As as for the SSD, asked the tech today and it’s only needed for the tow assist features via the back up camera. Costs $240.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:43 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by sighting
I will let you know this weekend. I see the delivery is a day away so still on track for this weekend install.
I will see if it requires re program or if I can use my SSD to make it work'

PS you can get the tow kit for way less than 400 on fleabay, think I payed 260 for mine new

How did you find the hitch for $260? The cheapest I found was about $800.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:27 AM
4wd High

The tow hitch receiver end which is installed behind the bumper and onto your frame costs around $900 from dealership. The tow hitch ball which is around $400 from Land Rover is a complete rip off. You can get a standard tow hitch ball from Home Depot for $30 and put it on the receiver.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:03 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by John Kim
The tow hitch receiver end which is installed behind the bumper and onto your frame costs around $900 from dealership. The tow hitch ball which is around $400 from Land Rover is a complete rip off. You can get a standard tow hitch ball from Home Depot for $30 and put it on the receiver.
Based on previous answers, there might be a solution for the part that gets installed on the bumper for less than $400, but I'm having a really hard time getting any answers from anyone. The cheapest I saw was part number VPLRT0174 and I can't find it for anything less than $800. I already have the two hitch ball, so that's not a problem, I would never buy anything from the dealer. I got mine for free from craigslist. I just really need some help locating the other part.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:04 AM
4wd Low

My install was around $1670 out the door for the OEM hitch + programming.

Just got a wireless brake controller for my new trailer and it seems to work great.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Denkodt
Based on previous answers, there might be a solution for the part that gets installed on the bumper for less than $400, but I'm having a really hard time getting any answers from anyone. The cheapest I saw was part number VPLRT0174 and I can't find it for anything less than $800. I already have the two hitch ball, so that's not a problem, I would never buy anything from the dealer. I got mine for free from craigslist. I just really need some help locating the other part.
Saw a guy selling 4 on craigslist. i think he was asking for $500. Bit too far from me though.
Also, stealthhitch is trying to find a model car for them. Free hitch install. Still too far for me...

Old 08-17-2018, 12:20 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by lltt
Saw a guy selling 4 on craigslist. i think he was asking for $500. Bit too far from me though.
Also, stealthhitch is trying to find a model car for them. Free hitch install. Still too far for me...
thanks for the info. Would you happen to have the link for the craigslist ad? I tried looking on Craigslist, but i didn't see anything.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:09 PM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go..
Wow what a great deal

https://richmond.craigslist.org/pts/...613007410.html

Just make sure it comes with the bolts

Old 09-03-2018, 01:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Can someone maybe put together and actual list of what parts to order? I asked Land Rover parts and they weren't sure what all had to be done. it sounds like a bunch of guesswork here has anyone completed the install?

Old 09-03-2018, 09:34 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the hitch added on mine by the dealer. They claimed it was a $2500+ ordeal with more than 8 hours of work. From what I could tell, it needed an electrical harness, replacement cross-member, and a new bumper cover with a notch for the receiver.

I couldn't find any cheap aftermarket options and almost walked away from purchasing the D5 because of it being so expensive.

Quick Reply: Tow hitch